Who is Towing a Travel Trailer and what are your experiences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Knobbie

Reaction score
I want to start towing a trailer, looking at the Black Series. I'm a little concerned that some owners are attributing oil leaks and other problems to the stress from towing. What are your experiences, what is the GVWR, etc.

Thanks for any responses.

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I consistently tow a tandem axle 27' snowmobile trailer with 4 sleds in it - total weight around 5k lbs with gear etc...

No issues at all and that is just about every weekend 5-8 hrs each way. Tows well. Your biggest issue will be sag in the rear. You will need a good weight distributing hitch.

OP
OP
K

Knobbie

Reaction score
Thank NE Raptor. I figured on a EZLift type.

I consistently tow a tandem axle 27' snowmobile trailer with 4 sleds in it - total weight around 5k lbs with gear etc...

No issues at all and that is just about every weekend 5-8 hrs each way. Tows well. Your biggest issue will be sag in the rear. You will need a good weight distributing hitch.

fur_pig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only have 12k miles on my 2018 but more than half of that is towing our 6k lb travel trailer. Aside from only getting 10 mpg while towing, no issues at all. Once I went Cobb stage 2 I can get the coolant temps high going over the mountains (even with the tune turned to stage 0) which I attribute to the FMIC restricting air flow to the legacy radiator and trans cooler. No issues though and it pulls fantastic. Stock rear suspension with a weight distributing hitch set up.

OP
OP
K

Knobbie

Reaction score
Yep, that’s exactly the kind of feedback I’m looking for. Thanks.

I only have 12k miles on my 2018 but more than half of that is towing our 6k lb travel trailer. Aside from only getting 10 mpg while towing, no issues at all. Once I went Cobb stage 2 I can get the coolant temps high going over the mountains (even with the tune turned to stage 0) which I attribute to the FMIC restricting air flow to the legacy radiator and trans cooler. No issues though and it pulls fantastic. Stock rear suspension with a weight distributing hitch set up.

John Rathjen

SWATDOC
Reaction score
Fur Pig - that’s a concern I’m having. My first wish is to get a frame cut bumper, but that requires moving the IC right in front of the radiator.

I plan on towing a small toy hauler - probably 7k loaded - on a regular basis, and I’m concerned that towing it in hot weather up a grade will lead to overheating.

what kinds of coolant temps are you seeing?

im almost to the point of canceling my plans for the cut style bumper to just leave the IC where it’s at

SmokieRiver

Reaction score
Only 7,000 miles and one season towing, but I towed a wakeboard boat (Malibu Wakesetter 23LSV) all summer and the truck towed it perfectly fine. I came from 2015 F150 platinum and was expecting a significant down grade for towing. However, I was pleasantly surprised with how good it actually towed. The sag/hitch drop is ~3 inches with Raptor vs ~2 inched with the Platinum on the exact same boat and trailer set up.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I came from 2015 F150 platinum and was expecting a significant down grade for towing.

That's a little strange...the Raptor has more power/torque, lower gears and a 10 spd trans....I would expect the Raptor to tow like a mad man....

fur_pig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fur Pig - that’s a concern I’m having. My first wish is to get a frame cut bumper, but that requires moving the IC right in front of the radiator.

I plan on towing a small toy hauler - probably 7k loaded - on a regular basis, and I’m concerned that towing it in hot weather up a grade will lead to overheating.

what kinds of coolant temps are you seeing?

im almost to the point of canceling my plans for the cut style bumper to just leave the IC where it’s at
I live in the mountains in Tahoe so I am pulling decent grades in 90 deg temps in the summer. If it's a long pull and I'm hammering down to pass I can get up to 250 on coolant temps pretty easily. Normal driving temps are a non-issue for 99% of my towing. Trans never gets hot at all, even if I forget to put in tow haul mode.

SmokieRiver

Reaction score
That's a little strange...the Raptor has more power/torque, lower gears and a 10 spd trans....I would expect the Raptor to tow like a mad man....

I was expecting less stability while underway and during harder braking, and more rear end bounce due to the softer suspension. Power is definitely not an issue. I do have to lock out 9th and 10th gear though to keep it from constantly gear hunting.