Who has the best aux light install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gotcha, I kind of though that.

Thanks.

Also, If you want to avoid having to pin the connector there is a Ford pigtail that comes pre pinned. It is part number WPT-1547. This is the male connector. I dont have a motorcraft pigtail part number for the female side.

If you want to buy the connector and pins yourself. The Molex part numbers are listed below. I use Mouser or Digikey but there are numerous sites.

The molex female connector is 33472-1301
The molex male connector is 33482-6201
Molex male pin 33000-0002 (Loose Piece) - 18-20 gauge
Molex female pin 33012-2002 (Loose Piece) - 18-20 gauge

rkwjunior

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, If you want to avoid having to pin the connector there is a Ford pigtail that comes pre pinned. It is part number WPT-1547. This is the male connector. I dont have a motorcraft pigtail part number for the female side.

If you want to buy the connector and pins yourself. The Molex part numbers are listed below. I use Mouser or Digikey but there are numerous sites.

The molex female connector is 33472-1301
The molex male connector is 33482-6201
Molex male pin 33000-0002 (Loose Piece) - 18-20 gauge
Molex female pin 33012-2002 (Loose Piece) - 18-20 gauge

Good info.
I'll look into the ford connectors.

If I do decide to pin it myself I have to get different size pins for the different size wires, or do they cover 2 or three sizes? I noticed the wire size difference for each auxiliary switch.

I was looking last nite.
I need the tool, the pins etc etc. Seems like a PITA. But I guess if you want it done right,gott pay to play.

Edit.
Can I come out the light side with 14 gauge pins, or do they have to match the truck side?
Or I could just get 18-20 gauge Deutsch pigtails.

Last edited:

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I soldered a short length of either 14 gauge or 12 gauge stranded to extend my AUX and pass through wires. I put the deutsch pins/sockets on these extension wires. This way I was able to use one size of connectors.

Tr4ckD4ys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also followed @Kashoggio instructions and went ahead with the Deustch connector install:

View attachment 140837

For tools, you will need wire cutters/strippers, a Deustch terminal crimper (barrel-style; around $20-$30 on Amazon), heat gun/hair dryer/lighter (for the heat shrink tubing), and a Deustch pick removal tool (for disassembly of the connector, when needed).

For materials, you will need the Deustch connector assembly, heat shrink tubing, and braided sleeving.

Deustch connector assembly: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D3S25CC/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Crimper: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KXKK8M1/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Deustch pick removal tool: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O7S43AE/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Heat shrink tubing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QM8249H/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Braided sleeving: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071JH14WZ/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

How did you solve the grounds? Did you do one 2-pin deutsch connector for each AUX switch hot wire (one hot, one ground)?

4rdFan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you solve the grounds? Did you do one 2-pin deutsch connector for each AUX switch hot wire (one hot, one ground)?

Nope, I attached the terminal eyelet that came on the harness to one of the ground bolts. Only the hot wires went to the Deustch connector.

Pittbug

Reaction score
I just bought a set of BD fogs, a pillar lights, reverse lights, and GJ brake light bracket and am planning out the wiring. I plan on trying to do this properly, so I want to pin the 6 aux wires into a 6 pin DT connector, then make a harness for the other side that has 6 x 2 pin DT connectors that the lights will plug into. Would you create a common ground in the harness like the attached illustration?

DT aux switch harness.jpg

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pittbug. Recommend you add a relay for each circuit. Much better practice and much safer.

Here’s a pic of my setup. Excuse the dust in engine bay.

• Soldered 12” of 12 AWG or 14 AWG to aux and pass through wires.
  • Used 6 pin Deutsch DT connectors for aux and pass through wires.
  • I used Deutsch solid connectors. Used the white Deutsch plugs to cap unused connectors.
  • Added relay for BD backup lights (see between the DT connectors)
  • Mounted to an aluminum plate at firewall.
  • Unit to left is a solid state Hellroaring battery isolator for my dual battery setup.
  • Ran power wire for lights from Deutsch pin to relay, then from relay to lights.
  • Use a ground point near where lights are mounted.
  • Either use the Deutsch 2 pin connectors at the lights if you want them easily removable. Or wire direct. I used Deutsch connectors at the light end.

CFBEDFCC-D874-4237-90C1-1ED28A67766F.jpeg

6290EE0D-4CF9-4BF9-A529-B6450AC6A599.jpeg