Who has the best aux light install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gordo. The deutsch connectors “connect” wires, providing a convenient way to connect/disconnect a wire.

For instance some of us have installed a 6 pin deutsch connector to the aux wires and another to the pass thru wires. This allows us to easily connect to any of the aux and pass thru wires. Think backup lights, driving lights, etc.

A ground is another wire that connects to “ground”, usually the frame or the negative battery stud for automotive.

The ground wire completes a circuit between the positive/hot and negative/ground.

I highly suggest that you buy one of Tony Candela’s books on automotive wiring. Many of us buy our wiring products from Tony.

https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/

OP
OP
gordo

gordo

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gordo. The deutsch connectors “connect” wires, providing a convenient way to connect/disconnect a wire.

For instance some of us have installed a 6 pin deutsch connector to the aux wires and another to the pass thru wires. This allows us to easily connect to any of the aux and pass thru wires. Think backup lights, driving lights, etc.

A ground is another wire that connects to “ground”, usually the frame or the negative battery stud for automotive.

The ground wire completes a circuit between the positive/hot and negative/ground.

I highly suggest that you buy one of Tony Candela’s books on automotive wiring. Many of us buy our wiring products from Tony.

https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/

Yeah I understand that I just wanted it as neat as possible. I installed the deutsch connector today. Came out pretty good. Was a little tricky pushing the six wires through since they are so thin. Ford could have splurged a bit ‍♂️ I grounded the lights separately to one of the bolts on the firewall. Thanks everyone for the help.

732B9210-3D85-444A-8014-32B6EE45CA45.jpeg

Johnfaeglasgow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used weatherpak connectors on all my connections instead of quick-splices or soldering. Still looks like a rats nest, but reliable connections and I can mess with my upfitter assignments or upgrade etc with ease if I want to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I understand that I just wanted it as neat as possible. I installed the deutsch connector today. Came out pretty good. Was a little tricky pushing the six wires through since they are so thin. Ford could have splurged a bit ‍♂️ I grounded the lights separately to one of the bolts on the firewall. Thanks everyone for the help.

View attachment 143119
Gordo. Looks good. The deutsch 6 position plugs make for a nice, neat install.

rkwjunior

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, drove me nuts too. I pinned the upfitter wires and installed in a molex connector along with 6 ground wires. On the other side of the molex connector I pinned 6 connectors. The molex connector staps into the battery cover so its secure. Just need to finish wrapping the wires.

View attachment 140717

View attachment 140718

View attachment 140719

Love this set up.
So i see the 12 pins in the connector, 6 for the AUX wires and 6 for the grounds?
Where did you source all the individual grounds from?
So lets say you add another set of lights later. You have to fit a new female/male deutch connector onto the wiring coming from the new lights and coming from the 12 pin connector?
I looked for that 12 pin connector, is that a 12 pin deusch?

Rick

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Love this set up.
So i see the 12 pins in the connector, 6 for the AUX wires and 6 for the grounds?
Where did you source all the individual grounds from?
So lets say you add another set of lights later. You have to fit a new female/male deutch connector onto the wiring coming from the new lights and coming from the 12 pin connector?
I looked for that 12 pin connector, is that a 12 pin deusch?

Rick

Rick,
The 12 pin connector is a molex connector. I have a (2) pin deusch connector for each upfitter along with a ground. I made it this way so I wouldn’t have to modify the truck side wiring if I ever want to change my setup. Anything that would need powered from a single upfitter would need its harness configured to a single deusch connector to plug into my setup.

rkwjunior

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rick,
The 12 pin connector is a molex connector. I have a (2) pin deusch connector for each upfitter along with a ground. I made it this way so I wouldn’t have to modify the truck side wiring if I ever want to change my setup. Anything that would need powered from a single upfitter would need its harness configured to a single deusch connector to plug into my setup.

Gotcha, I looked up 12 pin molex and didnt see that particular connector.

So on the truck side of the connector i see the 6 Aux wires and i think i see 6 black grounds, how did you source those? Did you come off the battery negative or a ground point on the truck with 6 individual wires?

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gotcha, I looked up 12 pin molex and didnt see that particular connector.

So on the truck side of the connector i see the 6 Aux wires and i think i see 6 black grounds, how did you source those? Did you come off the battery negative or a ground point on the truck with 6 individual wires?

I made 6 individual pins for the connector then spliced them into (1) wire by soldering/heat shrink and terminated it at the firewall ground.