Who has run the ORA550 tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Troutrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not the same.

What’s “not the same”? You couldn’t be more vague in answering a pretty direct question. What exactly is the difference which is worth $300+ Compared to the gearhead tune. You’re charging for their tune, and your mod on top of it for $300. I’m not saying it is not worth it...just trying to find out why your tune is one of the most expensive when you add it all up.

WHYUMAD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the ORA550 tune with full bolt-ons (ADD FMIC, AFE stage 2 CAI, AMS Boost Tubes, SPD DPs & Adapter, & Plugs). It runs good. Much better than stock, especially the shifting. It’s quick for what it is. 14MPG on 37s with all ADD suspension (heavier than stock) & ADD bumpers with probably a 50/50 city/hwy mix of driving. I’n contemplating doing larger turbos, but it’ll still be slow... it’s a truck. It’s quick for what it is & surprisingly has nice top end from the turbos.

OffroadAlliance.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Troutrad

Like other tunes out there, we have taken an off the shelf tune and heavily modified it. The standard tune from GH is very good and as you have pointed out numerous times, less expensive than our version. Our version is not the same as the tune they offer. Ours was and continues to go through revisions/updates ensuring it's peak performance for transmission shift points, power, fuel readings with the auto-octane feature, etc.

If price is primary focus for purchase, ours is not the least expensive. But another popular setup we offer and have sold a lot of is the Cobb. The Cobb Accessport with transmission tune retails for $1075 (and does not include sparks plugs).

Luckily in this great world of Ford Raptors, there are lots of choices at lots of price points for aftermarket accessories.

Last edited:

Troutrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Troutrad

Like other tunes out there, we have taken an off the shelf tune and heavily modified it. The standard tune from GH is very good and as you have pointed out numerous times, less expensive than our version. Our version is not the same as the tune they offer. Ours was and continues to go through revisions/updates ensuring it's peak performance for transmission shift points, power, fuel readings with the auto-octane feature, etc.

If price is primary focus for purchase, ours is not the least expensive. But another popular setup we offer and have sold a lot of is the Cobb. The Cobb Accessport with transmission tune retails for $1075 (and does not include sparks plugs).

Luckily in this great world of Ford Raptors, there are lots of choices at lots of price points for aftermarket accessories.

Thank You! That DID mostly answer my question. I think the explanation on your site does not answer the question nearly as well as what you’ve written above. I’d suggest you use the exact 1st paragraph from your explanation above and add it to the info on that tune. Your site “suggests” that it is pretty much the same tune as the GH tune. At the very least, it is not nearly as clear as what you’ve written here.

So, please sell me on your tune. For $300 over the GH tune which is also a tried and true tune, what am I getting? I’m not against putting money into something that’s worth it but just saying it’s better, and revised, etc doesn’t quite cut it for me and probably many on this forum.

I’m not necessarily looking for the most aggressive tune. I’m definitely looking for a significant performance boost balanced with the safety of my rig. Anyone getting a tune while under warranty is taking some risk...just want it mitigated as much as possible without it being too watered down. How does your tune compare to the GH tune as far as safety and aggressiveness?

Thanks Again!

Last edited:

TrackRat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't have any experience with the standard GH Tune but will tell you that after having tried Cobb Stage 1, Cobb Stage 2, and Goose Tuned... I personally like the ORA550 best. Tons of power, very smooth running and lower boost levels.

OffroadAlliance.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This tune was designed to appeal to a wide audience. It offers a good increase in power, torque and a significant improvement in the transmission shift points. Our tune is NOT the most agressive out there. It does NOT offer the largest power or torque gains nor does it offer the most agressive shift points. Again, it was NOT designed to be the highest power nor the most aggressive. It was designed to provide a healthy bump in HP/TQ and correct the shift points all the while doing this at a very, very safe 18lbs of boost.

The cost difference is the refinement. We have spent more than a year in the making to offer the tune we have today. We've tested trucks at various altitudes, different countries, different fuel octane levels, etc. We have tested on numerous dynos around the around the country and few outside of the US to also ensure it's performing without issue. Most tunes/tuners are simply turning up the boost to make power. There are plenty of real world examples of trucks overboosting, experiencing fault codes and mechanical issues because of this.

Again, the Gearhead tune is very good. The cost difference is our continual refinement. The ORA550 Stage 2 kit and Stage 3 kit offer a better price point when you're purchasing the entire bundle of tune plus hard parts. If you’re only looking for a tune and no hard parts, for price difference between the off the shelf version and ours, it may not be worth it to some folks. With that said, if you already have hard parts or would like other hard parts that are not in our performance packages, we can customize our tune to accomodate other brands or other hard parts (ie; turbo adapters, downpipes, etc).

For all other questions, comments, concerns, short anecdotes or perhaps that story you’re just dying to tell, please give us a shout at 888-466-8991.

OffroadAlliance.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't have any experience with the standard GH Tune but will tell you that after having tried Cobb Stage 1, Cobb Stage 2, and Goose Tuned... I personally like the ORA550 best. Tons of power, very smooth running and lower boost levels.

This is exactly what we designed it to do! Good power, very smooth running and safe operating parameters to ensure your Raptor’s longevity.

Troutrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This tune was designed to appeal to a wide audience. It offers a good increase in power, torque and a significant improvement in the transmission shift points. Our tune is NOT the most agressive out there. It does NOT offer the largest power or torque gains nor does it offer the most agressive shift points. Again, it was NOT designed to be the highest power nor the most aggressive. It was designed to provide a healthy bump in HP/TQ and correct the shift points all the while doing this at a very, very safe 18lbs of boost.

The cost difference is the refinement. We have spent more than a year in the making to offer the tune we have today. We've tested trucks at various altitudes, different countries, different fuel octane levels, etc. We have tested on numerous dynos around the around the country and few outside of the US to also ensure it's performing without issue. Most tunes/tuners are simply turning up the boost to make power. There are plenty of real world examples of trucks overboosting, experiencing fault codes and mechanical issues because of this.

Again, the Gearhead tune is very good. The cost difference is our continual refinement. The ORA550 Stage 2 kit and Stage 3 kit offer a better price point when you're purchasing the entire bundle of tune plus hard parts. If you’re only looking for a tune and no hard parts, for price difference between the off the shelf version and ours, it may not be worth it to some folks. With that said, if you already have hard parts or would like other hard parts that are not in our performance packages, we can customize our tune to accomodate other brands or other hard parts (ie; turbo adapters, downpipes, etc).

For all other questions, comments, concerns, short anecdotes or perhaps that story you’re just dying to tell, please give us a shout at 888-466-8991.

Thank you. Now THAT is what should be in the description of your tune on your website! Not ready to risk the warranty void quite yet but right now, toss up between the GH and yours! Sounds like it might be worth the xtra $$ for your refinement.

Wender85

Reaction score
Im about to pull the trigger talking with tyson at ORA. Does anyone know if it changes the speed limiter??