Who has run the ORA550 tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My tune

My tuned and deleted lml smokes my tuned raptor with stage 2 Cobb.

I've drove both so I know it's not the driver..

May FEEL like that- but actual numbers would probably prove otherwise. You gotta remember- you’re hauling MINIMUM 1500 up to 2000 lbs more of body weight. That’s like comparing a charger hellfat to a Z06 vette.

FWIW I am running a gearhead tune (equivalent to ORA550 tune minus the hard parts) & I can walk my buddy’s tuned/deleted ‘14 F350 screw w/ EASE over & over again. Running him in 2wd vs 4A produces less convincing result but still pulling away.

Oh yeah....then there’s the 10 speed vs 6 speed advantage (I know the newer super duties also have a 10 speed)

An F350 crew cab 4x4 diesel is like 7500 lbs!!!! And don’t get me wrong- it definitely melts your brain when you’re in one of those things running a tune & DEF delete - but a ton is a ton.

lastly- as mentioned many times, Cobb only recently started tuning the trans in these trucks & w/o trans tuning their performance tunes were really generating dyno queen #s b/c the stock tranny shifting leaves a helluvalot on the table. And even though they offer trans tuning now, the ORA550 tune has MUCH better trans tuning coming from way way more experience not only w/ automatic trannies but automatic ford truck trannies in particular. Cobb? Solid name, decent rep, but I wouldn’t bother w/ their tunes unless I was in a subie. May sound harsh but just my personal opinion.

I think they make some nice hard parts for the Raptor I do have their coolant cover & air filter

Last edited:

TrackRat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've begun leaning into mine now that I have some miles under me. Really like the way the truck runs. Feels smoother than it had been with the Cobb Stage 2 / Goose tunes with comparable performance. Not 100% sure that I like this transmission tuning as much as the Cobb though. Feels like it hangs in gear a little longer than Cobb's sport tune did.

Troutrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering who has experience running the ORA550 tune and what you think of it. I'd also really like to hear comparisons from anybody who has also run tunes from MPT or Cobb. I've scoured the forums reading but these couple questions are the heart of what I was searching for so thought I'd start a post for it. Thanks!
‘Would love for someone to explain to me what the ORA550 by Off-road Alliance has over the Gearhead tune with SCT programmer from the Gearhead site (aside from the spark plugs...). The ORA550 is $888 while the Gearhead/SCT is $524 (with performance tune but not tow tune). Kinda feels like $364 for spark plugs.... Hope someone from Off-road Alliance can explain this:

https://offroadalliance.com/product...2&_sid=93cd7dcf3&_ss=r&variant=31284787871806

https://www.ghtuning.com/product/sct-40490-bdx-ford-programmer-17-19-3-5-raptor/

Troutrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a gearhead tune on my truck which is essentially the same thing less the hard parts that Off-road alliance throws in. This is def the best tune for me- SMOOTH as silk in the shifting/power delivery department, won’t overboost/overwork stock turbos, will autoadjuat for low octane or bad gas (if you get stuck in an area w/o 93 octane, no tuning device, & are running an MPT 93prx tune for instance, well....you’re f****d essentially) - and yes you’ll get a 75-100whp bump. It’s an awesome “set it & forget it” tune for a DD if you don’t need to have the most high strung frenetically tuned raptor I would highly recommend it. Also- unlike some other tuners out there who don’t touch the tranny (total waste of $$$ IMO- cobb was selling these “1/2 tunes” all along until finally offering TCM tuning for an up harvest) gearhead tunes are just as involved in the tranny as the engine tuning.

I’m not knocking FRL/ORA If I wanted to add hard parts w/ a tune I’m sure they’re getting a discount from gearhead for being another vendor/mass customer & their total package I’m guessing is good bang for the buck.

I just wasn’t interested in messing w/ intake/IC

The only “hard parts” for the most basic ORA550 seems to be spark plugs... Am I missing something? Cuz the Gearhead tune with tuner from their site is $524 while the ORA550 from off-road alliance is $888. I’d planned on doing exactly what you did. Did you get the SCT tuner? The N-Guage is not listed for my 2019 (ad says 2017-18 for the N-gauge) while the SCT is 17-19).

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The only “hard parts” for the most basic ORA550 seems to be spark plugs... Am I missing something? Cuz the Gearhead tune with tuner from their site is $524 while the ORA550 from off-road alliance is $888. I’d planned on doing exactly what you did. Did you get the SCT tuner? The N-Guage is not listed for my 2019 (ad says 2017-18 for the N-gauge) while the SCT is 17-19).

whether you go through ORA or not is your choice, if you’re going to purchase any other mods they pretty much sell it all & im sure you’d wind up better off overall buying a few things in a package deal from them unless you’re just sticking w/ a tune, period (which I’m telling you is a big fat lie- there will be more mods to come lol)

only thing I’d say whether you go through ORA or GH direct I would recommend going w/ the Ngauge device even tho its pricier across the board (device itself + the tuning requires HP credits) simply b/c I have an 801a package on my truck & like the look/use of the Ngauge as an additional gauge on the dash. The SCT devices are cheaper, bulkier, uglier, & not ideal for mounting in the cabin.

Troutrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whether you go through ORA or not is your choice, if you’re going to purchase any other mods they pretty much sell it all & im sure you’d wind up better off overall buying a few things in a package deal from them unless you’re just sticking w/ a tune, period (which I’m telling you is a big fat lie- there will be more mods to come lol)

only thing I’d say whether you go through ORA or GH direct I would recommend going w/ the Ngauge device even tho its pricier across the board (device itself + the tuning requires HP credits) simply b/c I have an 801a package on my truck & like the look/use of the Ngauge as an additional gauge on the dash. The SCT devices are cheaper, bulkier, uglier, & not ideal for mounting in the cabin.

The only addition to the tune and tuner that I can see in the ORA 555’s basic package at the cost of $888 is spark plugs. The rest of the package is the SCT tuner and the GH tune which you can get directly from GH for $524. That was really my question. I thought I was missing something in the ORA package. I already have a CAI (Airaid) and Borla ATAK exhaust...not yet moved into an inter cooler yet. Can you see any other difference in those two packages? Otherwise, ORA is really marking up that price... Much better off getting the GH product and spark plugs on your own.

OffroadAlliance.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Troutrad

The ORA550 tune is not the same as the baseline tune you highlighted in your previous post on GH’s website. Our tune was something in the making for nearly a year before it was brought to market. It was tested on a number of trucks and some of which were even located outside of the US. It was continually updated and refined to ensure the gains were there, the shift points were dialed in and all the while maintaining lower boost numbers than most other tunes/tuners utilize.

Troutrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Troutrad

The ORA550 tune is not the same as the baseline tune you highlighted in your previous post on GH’s website. Our tune was something in the making for nearly a year before it was brought to market. It was tested on a number of trucks and some of which were even located outside of the US. It was continually updated and refined to ensure the gains were there, the shift points were dialed in and all the while maintaining lower boost numbers than most other tunes/tuners utilize.

Your site lists it as the “ Custom Sport Tune by GearHead (includes Auto Octane and Transmission Tuning)”. That seems like it is the Gearhead tune. That is either a True statement or it is False. It does not say that it is a modified version of the Gearhead Tune which seems to be what you are saying. Which is it? And you would contend your modification of a Gearhead Tune is worth at least $300 (spotted you $64 for the spark plugs)? Just trying to get the facts.

OffroadAlliance.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your site lists it as the “ Custom Sport Tune by GearHead (includes Auto Octane and Transmission Tuning)”. That seems like it is the Gearhead tune. That is either a True statement or it is False. It does not say that it is a modified version of the Gearhead Tune which seems to be what you are saying. Which is it? And you would contend your modification of a Gearhead Tune is worth at least $300 (spotted you $64 for the spark plugs)? Just trying to get the facts.

Not the same.

TrackRat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Custom Sport Tune by Gearhead" to me sounds like getting a Cobb OTS Tune tweaked via a protune. These protunes can be very different than the starting point baseline. Same thing Goosetuning is doing with the Cobb platform.

Just to remove any doubt from my earlier post... I'm really liking the ORA550 over my prior tunes. Quite happy all around.

Last edited: