Who’s sold their Gen 1 during this market and hates the decision they made?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trolling the Gen 1 section? Yeah, I know the SVT history well and why the bean counters moved it to a more mainstream “Ford Performance” group with lookalike parts and boring V6s. Looks like everything else.

Didnt improve it. In fact, went backwards. Needless features ( hands free lol), sketchy tech, with ever-ballooning price tags.. sounds great. My opinion and not sorry you’re offended.

Enjoy your truck.

Someone needs a hug.

Good old FordTechNone......... what a ecopoop troll.

BoostedToy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t get why a legit Ford technician would be leading with off base info, insights and expertise (it’s because I don’t think he would, and nothing he has stated has caught my attention in the least in terms of his thoughts, which are based off of training, knowledge and expertise). Honestly, unless I would do a 20k+ engine build on the 6.2, I’m not comfortable going above where my truck sits, which is just above 600hp/600 trq. It’s been great to me, but I also don’t abuse it. Occasional WOT pulls and enjoy the comfort the truck provides, plus, it’s just fun. Part of the fun to me is the aural, which the 3.5 won’t meet for most (admittedly, the Gen 3 exhaust sounds better than Gen 2).

I debated a Gen 2 (and to lesser extent, a Gen 3), and with where the used market is and Gen 3 pricing, for me, and I’m speaking for me only, the TRX seemed like the logical move. It’s closer to my truck on some levels than the Gen 2 and Gen 3. I don’t think the TRX is going to out Baja the Gen 3. That said, I’ve spent some time on a beach, none in dunes and some on trails. Most of what my time is built around what the TRX is built around, being a damn comfortable, cool and hot rod if a truck. That said, I plan for more WOT events and launches, as the engine and drivetrain was designed for it. If and when the Raptor R is released, I expect it to out Baja the TRX and most certainly Ford will ensure it out accelerates it too.

For now, dipping into the TRX world and I’ll report back with an honest, objective view. I’ve owned two Gen 1’s (current is a stage 2 Roush) and spent enough time in a Gen 2 of a friend to have some impressions of it too. I will point out that the Gen 2 does have a better feel from the ride quality than either of my Gen 1’s, even when at comparable miles and having new rebuilds on my truck 3-4 years ago.

I still prefer my Gen 1 Raptor to the Gen 2, but not because I think it’s superior. I’ll make it analog to this. Would I rather have the mint 1972 K10 Blazer My father in law has or a 2012 Chevy Tahoe (don’t get me started on the new Blazer…Ford nailed the Bronco reboot!)? Do I think the ‘72 is superior to the 2012? I know it’s not. I know, each has its purpose, but I hope I’m making a point.

Last edited:

BoostedToy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said, I’ll report back when I can give an objective opinion. I still don’t get why some rail against FTO. I get there are preferences but I believe the 3.5 EB to have superior performance over the 6.2. The 6.2 has been great to me. 150k and no issues with engine, transmission and all miles have been with an SC.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Like I said, I’ll report back when I can give an objective opinion. I still don’t get why some rail against FTO. I get there are preferences but I believe the 3.5 EB to have superior performance over the 6.2. The 6.2 has been great to me. 150k and no issues with engine, transmission and all miles have been with an SC.
I think a lot of it stems from misunderstandings due to how people use their trucks. For a raptor the ecoboost makes good sense, reasonably fuel efficient for the daily driver, good power/torque when you need it. What ~14.7 psi makes the 3.5 basically a 7.0…..

But some might be like me that I have about half a raptor left, I mostly tell people I drive the blue f150. I prefer a V8 for the sound……….. it has enough power to get me in trouble, though I would love more. I drive it as a toy, daily is a ranger. I may actually be in the minority by a large margin on this forum and therefore my opinion should probably carry a less weight to the average person.

I love turbo V8’s, I like naturally aspirated and supercharged ones. I appreciate/respect the ecoboost twin turbo. I had a gen 1 3.5 ecoboost and with a tube and mid pipes it ran great.

Your pretty spot on how preference sometimes gets confused with facts/data.

eddy20

Reaction score
Here is mine, 2014 loaded (minus sun roof), 65,234 miles. never off road. Always serviced @ Rancho Ford Temecula. Dealer offered 42,000 at last oil change. If I could get $50,000 it would be hard not to sell otherwise I'll keep her. Sorry she's dirty in the pic. Factory stock, except for new take off 2019 Raptor Bead locks.IMG_4315.JPG

BoostedToy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of it stems from misunderstandings due to how people use their trucks. For a raptor the ecoboost makes good sense, reasonably fuel efficient for the daily driver, good power/torque when you need it. What ~14.7 psi makes the 3.5 basically a 7.0…..

But some might be like me that I have about half a raptor left, I mostly tell people I drive the blue f150. I prefer a V8 for the sound……….. it has enough power to get me in trouble, though I would love more. I drive it as a toy, daily is a ranger. I may actually be in the minority by a large margin on this forum and therefore my opinion should probably carry a less weight to the average person.

I love turbo V8’s, I like naturally aspirated and supercharged ones. I appreciate/respect the ecoboost twin turbo. I had a gen 1 3.5 ecoboost and with a tube and mid pipes it ran great.

Your pretty spot on how preference sometimes gets confused with facts/data.

For me, a large part of the experience is the sound. I love forced induction V8’s as well. I can only think of two vehicles I have owned that did not have forced induction.
- 2000 Corvette (had a Corsa exhaust and mild cam from Thunder Racing)
- 2013 Raptor (prior to finding my 2013 Roush, current ride)

Some of the vehicles I enjoyed most were inline six engines (MKIII and MKIV Supra Turbos…before they were going for 75-200k). They sounded really wicked, especially at higher pressure ratios and high revs (7500+rpm).

With my truck and some of the sports/muscle cars I’ve had, the V8 sound just completes the experience. Higher horsepower centrifugal (700-1000hp) C6 Grand Sport Corvettes and Gen 2 CTS-V’s with ported stock blowers making near 700rwhp on E85, whereas the Supra’s did sound wicked, the LS’s sounded like monsters. Everyone has their own opinions and preferences. I have a friend who loves STi’s and their sound. It runs nice and is relatively practical in a northern US climate, albeit small, but sounds awful to me. Key part, to me.

I also had a 97’ Mustang Cobra that I built and turbocharged which was making more hp and trq than any of the aforementioned vehicles. It sounded good, but not great. Don’t get me wrong, I love turbochargers and if power is what you are after, someone should pursue that route. In my experience, especially with vehicles that were not OEM forced induction ,aftermarket/non-OEM forced induction turbocharging is more laden with reliability issues. There are a number of reasons for this, but that can be another discussion. I’ve always had good experiences with superchargers added to a non-OEM forced induction vehicle, and it’s not a small sample size, or style (TVS/centrifugal/screw). They also create a louder and more aggressive exhaust than a turbocharged vehicle, where the exhaust pulses exiting the cylinder (exhaust) head are quickly blended up by the turbine wheel before exiting to the downpipe/exhaust. Again, just MY preference. There is something to be said about a high horsepower turbo V8 and the absolute freight train (or more appropriately, jet takeoff acceleration) experience.

BoostedToy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My favorite, but not the best.
- Less MPG on average (objective)
- Less power and slower acceleration (objective)
- Less capable and comfortable suspension (objective)
- Exterior design is a win for Gen I in my eyes (subjective)
- Interior is close to a wash to me (subjective)
- Exhaust note is much preferred (subjective, but anecdotally bordering on objective)

All that said I still prefer my Gen I to a Gen II, for subjective reasons.