Who’s sold their Gen 1 during this market and hates the decision they made?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TannerK17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody!

We all know the current situation with new & used vehicles. That said I’m curious to see who has made a move selling their Gen 1 in this market and their thoughts afterwards. When I bought my Gen 1 in July of last year, I had zero intention of selling it and it was to be a long term vehicle for me. But, I also don’t think any of us saw this coming down the line either as it pertains to the shortage and the crazy pricing that has followed.

That said, I’ve had solid offers the last few weeks and I’m torn on what to do. I completely love my 2013 and it’s been rock solid the last 15 months, but the equity I can gain from selling can help by being applied elsewhere. Although it isn’t completely necessary, making money on a truck I’ve put 40K miles on in just over a year doesn’t hurt. Following that, I have absolutely no clue what else I could go buy that would make me happy. I’ve looked at Platinums, Limited’s, Gen 2’s, well-put-together Tundra’s and a few others.

I’m curious what route people went if they did sell and why or why you wouldn’t sell again if given the choice. I also am curious what we think pricing will do short term & long term. I’m certainly not opposed to going away from my truck short-term and coming back to a Gen 1 when the time is right, but I’m not sure that clean one’s will be around much longer and that they’ll be affordable if they are worth buying in the future.

This is just a truck at the end of the day, but it’s also the pinnacle in a sense. I appreciate everyone’s thoughts!

Frogger22

“Not all who wander are lost” Tolkien
Reaction score
I went back to college and the raptor wasn’t paid off, mix that with the prices being paid and I sold mine. I miss the truck and loved it every second I had it. I bought a 2021 4Runner TRD Pro and it is really solid vehicle but when I go to the mountains I miss my truck. Saving $60 per tank on gas doesn’t hurt my feelings any. After I finish college I’ll be right back into a raptor no doubt about it.

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about it. Even looked into trading for a Lightning ⚡

At the end of the day, after you search your soul, is there really anything that can replace the Gen 1?

Even if I won the powerball, and bought a Gen 3, or an R when it comes, can anything replace your first love?

Maybe for a better man than I. For me, I’m keeping it. Rusting cab corners, kids car seat dents and all.

Stingray23

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What do you guys think I can get for my truck?
2012 SCAB-Black
1-owner
57,400 miles
Very good condition

moog5050

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sold my 2012 in 2019 to get into a wrangler unlimited recon. It was a fun vehicle in the summer with no top and doors but did not otherwise compare. Ended up selling that to get back into a low mileage 2019 raptor in January of this year (right before prices went crazy). I regretted the sale of my 2012 but am thrilled with the 2019. Not worth making a few bucks IMO but to each his own.