Whirring sound on deceleration?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Speeddeacon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently I've begun to hear a whirring sound when decelerating that seems to be coming from the passenger side on my '18 Screw. I think it is up front, but can't be certain. It is independent of braking, but always happens when slowing down, typically at lower speeds (<45mph perhaps). The best way I can describe is a whirring sound, like a playing card in a fan blade or something like that. It almost sounds like a mechanical pump kicking on briefly, then off. Anyone have any ideas or similar issue?

OP
OP
Speeddeacon

Speeddeacon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that I've noticed, but they are getting close to needing replacing. Next on my list. I'll give the 4a a try after work. If it is an IWE it goes away in 4wd, is that correct?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, 99% of the time if it will goes away in 4h, its associated with the iwe, like a possible vacuum leak or that check valve by your brake booster or the iwe, etc, report back, lets not jump the gun yet.

OP
OP
Speeddeacon

Speeddeacon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I posted my question right before I went off for a week of vacation so sorry it has taken me so long to get back.

Putting it in 4A made no difference. It has definitely gotten louder, but doesn't record well due to cabin noises, etc., on my phone. I've decided to have it checked out at the dealer since it's under warranty. I'm also going to go ahead and get new tires as well.

I'll report back sometime next week after I hopefully have it taken care of (fingers crossed).

OP
OP
Speeddeacon

Speeddeacon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I am able to hear the noise when it is parked as well, as it turns out. It seems to be coming from underneath the truck and not in the engine bay. I don't feel anything loose, like an exhaust clamp, but can't be certain. The link is to a YouTube of the noise I made with my phone.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It almost sounds like a binding wastegate or wastegate actuator. Have you observed the wastegates from the front fender wells as the noise occurs?