Whirring sound on deceleration?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Speeddeacon

Speeddeacon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It almost sounds like a binding wastegate or wastegate actuator. Have you observed the wastegates from the front fender wells as the noise occurs?
I've read about the wastegate, not sure what I'd be looking for honestly. I took it in yesterday, played the video for them but then they couldn't get it to happen, although they admitted they didn't drive it very far so perhaps it wasn't warmed up enough. But they told me to drop by anytime it is making the noise and the tech would go out with me so the saga continues. On the other note, the new tires are so much quieter it should make it easier to hear while driving, lol.

OP
OP
Speeddeacon

Speeddeacon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, well I dropped by the service department once the truck was warm and two techs came out to listen. They feel that it is something inside the muffler, such as a broken baffle or something. It is coming from under the truck and doesn't seem to be a lose clamp, shield etc. They have heard it before, but not on a Raptor, and replacing the muffler resolved the noise they said.

Unfortunately, my truck is beyond the factory bumper to bumper time period and mufflers are not covered by the Ford ESP Warranty. Go figure. So, I'll live with it a while and go with an aftermarket muffler at some point.

OP
OP
Speeddeacon

Speeddeacon

Full Access Member
Reaction score