Whipple w/ dual fans and exchanger - winch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phrozen755

Reaction score
Been trying to figure out some more information about options. I have the heat exchanger with the dual fans but really want a winch. I asked around and one guy said the only options are get a new bumper and put the winch outside, or if I wanted to the 'hidden' mount (which I do) to modify the exchanger by shortening it a bit getting that work done by a radiator shop ...

Didn't know of any one else's stories with winches and whipples (sounds like a band name or something!) so I figured I'd post here and see what people had to say.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are a small handful of bumpers that I've seen that work for what you want.
Rogue Racing and SDHQ are some of the vendors you need to call.
All you need extra is a power relocating kit which is usually mounted on the winch.

My friend with the same setup had his bumper and winch done by Krazy House Customs.
Give them a call as well.

Here's one picture I have, mine is on the left and my friends in on the right.

IMG_20140515_090416_832.jpg

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the AFFCO dual fan heat exchanger and a 12,000lb winch under it - the type where you can't relocate the box because it's built in on the top. It would NOT fit in a hidden winch setup (had that previously), but with some bracket modifications it fits with my LEX bumper. If I had a winch where I could relocate the control box I'd have a lot of room to spare (and it would work with the hidden winch). As is it's reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally close. But it fits.

OP
OP
P

phrozen755

Reaction score
Hey @Dane - "If I had a winch where I could relocate the control box I'd have a lot of room to spare" I'm currently eyeballing the ADD race series with the winch, I wonder with you comment of a winch where you could relocate the control box, if that bumper would actually be an option for me ...

What are the winches that allow for the relocation? Is your 12k winch the Smittybuilt?

Thanks! About to pull the trigger on a new bumper this week!

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey @Dane - "If I had a winch where I could relocate the control box I'd have a lot of room to spare" I'm currently eyeballing the ADD race series with the winch, I wonder with you comment of a winch where you could relocate the control box, if that bumper would actually be an option for me ...

What are the winches that allow for the relocation? Is your 12k winch the Smittybuilt?

Thanks! About to pull the trigger on a new bumper this week!
Mine's called a Viper - I don't even think they make it anymore. But here's an example of what it sorta looks like (this is a Warn):
https://www.warn.com/zeon-12s-winch-95950

See how it's basically a set size - that top part can't be moved. Well, that's where it gets suuuuuuuuuper close!

If you have one like this:
https://www.quadratec.com/p/smittybilt/xrc-12-gen2-winch-97412

See how that top box can go anywhere? You can move it off to the side, wherever you want to make the winch less tall.

Make sense?

OP
OP
P

phrozen755

Reaction score
@Dane Yeah man this totally makes sense now. I really wonder if relocating that control box with that winch will give me enough space. Just took off my bumper last night and took a picture of the heat exchanger danglin' down ... wish I could provide measurements to a place that sells these bumpers and they'd be able to tell me ... but ... probably not likely for them to know...

Super super super appreciate the back and forth!

Image from iOS.jpg

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We installed my heat exchanger higher to provide more room. Bit of customization. It BARELY clears the hood.

OP
OP
P

phrozen755

Reaction score
I think I'll go for the winch with the relocation, and pray I got enough space not to modify any brackets!