Whipple vs. Roush

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods' started by MTF, Jun 21, 2012.

Sponsored By: GotExhaust
  1. MTF

MTF FRF Addict

So let's start

Reason for why I chose Whipple over Roush

First and foremost, if I'm going to spent this kind money why would I settle with 150+ crank hp less, this is a no brainer
    Even with Whipple being around $700 more, where can you find 200+ hp add-on for $700 more.

Update: The Whipple Standard Complete Kit is now rated at 675 fwhp, with the new larger 5" intercooler that comes standard now!!!

Update: The new Roush stage 2 only has 590 fwhp

Update: With the new tunes that are now available 550 rwhp is quite common with minimal upgrading

Here's some comparison:

2.9L vs 2.3L, 2.9L is over 20% larger in capacity and optimizied for 6.0 to 7.0L engines.

Nearly 4000rpm lower compressor speed for decreased temp and power consumption.

Twin screw has higher thermal efficiency which equates to lower discharge temps.

Lower compressor speeds means better belt life, more pulley selections, more power capacity, no special belt systems for built engines.

Massive intercooler core compared to far smaller Roush unit means much cooler air charge, more power and more capacity for higher HP.

123mm MAF airflow vs much smaller Roush unit.

123mm venturi for better air inlet

Oversized true flow S&B 9" filter vs. tiny Roush filter.

Front feed compressor allows for much less air inlet restrction as it only makes one 60deg bend vs the 45 + 90 + 90 deg bends.

Less inlet restrictions equal lower supercharger temps, lower power consumption and more power available.

Big runner manifold allows for far more power capacity then the more restrictive Roush manifold.

The Whipple is available with warranty, at 150+ more power than standard Roush and 85+ for the stage 2

Roush also has a third party warranty that comes include for the standard kit but the stage two requires and second more costly warranty,
    and the truck needs to go directly to Roush from the factory before the dealer gets it.

And since I went though a Ford/Whipple dealership, my OEM warranty is not automatically voided.
    because I stayed with stock exhaust and no other Mods. (this may be subject to change in the future Maybe as far as Long Tube headers are concerned)
    Ford and Ford Racing is getting feedback so who knows.
    I fell like a sale person, LOL

And if anybody is near or planning on coming to New York, now or in the future please PM me if you want to drive it.

Upate:

Now you can run full Long Tube 1 7/8" Headers for full power power flow.

The Whipple LT Headers Tune is designed with SW Headers and True dual exhaust.
    But all headers will work, please contact Whipple for more information!!!

That's 85+ over Roush's stage 2 590hp kit.

More Updates 6/18/2015: Whipple Optional Upgrades

So, finally, I did it!!! I've been talking for years that I need to get some dyno time and post numbers.

I also did a Whipple optional upgrade package.

Whipple Tune
    Whipple's Twin 68mm TB
    60 lbs. injectors
    3.250 SC pulley
    Livernois Billet Oil Pump Gears and in-Tank Fuel Pump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpuNbOGislo

Did I mention I'm running full stock exhaust!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    mike.s, boomer, 69Mach1 and 2 others like this.
  2. keatonskidmore

keatonskidmore FRF Addict

So you can keep your factory warranty with the whipple?

3. MTF

MTF FRF Addict

Yes sir! when I have time I'll write a little something about that and post.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  4. slvr35th

slvr35th Full Access Member

I wouldnt go with any blower but a whipple!! they are by far superior to any other blower made! If they are good enought to be back by ford warranty then they must be doing something right!!

5. Stig1

Stig1 Member

I surely do not know all the particulars as stated from MTF, but I do know that my Whipple is all that I was hoping it would be.... and more!

Anyone considering whipple in NE Ohio area is also welcome to pm me, no problem showing it in person. However, if you don't pull up in a raptor yourself, don't expect me to even stop.

RAPTURR likes this.
  6. may28th

may28th Full Access Member

Mtf I may have to meet up with you on July 14th when I head up to the open house in NJ as I will be making my decision very soon after that trip.

7. NickPic83

NickPic83 FRF Addict

MTF where in NY r u?

8. Chrisandalex1

Chrisandalex1 FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

I am going to first say that I am not qualified to make any argument here, but I read this, and thought it was interesting.

The new ROUSH F-150 superchargers are a positive displacement supercharger that features twin four-lobe rotors that are twisted 160-degrees. By comparison, the original Eaton supercharger rotating assembly featured three lobes twisted 60 degrees. The fourth lobe and added twist, when combined with NEWLY redesigned air inlet and outlet ports, greatly enhance thermal efficiency, deliver higher volumetric capacity, enable higher operating speeds, creates a smoother, more efficient flow of air into the engine and has improved noise and vibration characteristics.

This was regarding the Roush kit.

Here is another one I found helpful in choosing:

The Whipple trumps the TVS in displacement; down low the TVS *may" have a torque edge on the street (stop-light to stop-light) but a twin-screw like the Whipple is superior above 15 PSI. Above 15 PSI the TVS starts to make more heat than the Whipple, so if you are going to go forged and throw 20+ PSI at the engine, hands down, the Whipple.

If you are just bolting it on a stock Coyote motor and you don't plan on going crazy with the power long-term, I would probably go with the TVS.

Lastly, the TVS is fairly quiet, and the Whipple has a screaming whine...so that is something to consider as well. Some guys want a loud WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE and some want "stealth" with exhaust noise their dominant signature.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  9. MTF

MTF FRF Addict

Right now I'm working on the Whitestone Bridge in a crane the one thats on the bridge making traffic,
    my Raptor is sitting in the center median at the bottom of the bridge on the Queens side.

I have seen handful of Raptors in New York and so far I was able to stop two and say hello,
    there is this one Blue one with graphics I see everyday around 7:30am by the bridge and have even waved hello
    but you know most New Yorkers are not friendly. So to each his own. I would always glad to talk to any Raptor owner.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
    Big Bill, Prime Target and Bakeo111 like this.
  10. Netix

Netix Banned

damn i want 8k right now for a whipple