Whipple vs roush vs hellion

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods' started by lbrewster4, Mar 22, 2016.

Sponsored By: GotExhaust
  1. Whipple Charged

Whipple Charged Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

You know, I try not to get on here too much but this is just not accurate.

We've been offering the 60lb Bosch DW injectors for 3 years. We have well over 1000 units out there.

47's are too small unless you run a BAP and even then your on borrowed time since the fuel psi is falling. I know, because we've tested it time and time again.

Also, 47's are a split pattern fuel injector. While this is never ideal to run, we were somewhat forced to go this route and they worked far better than expected, but the 60lb straight shot spray pattern is far better for wall wetting, cooling the valves and atomization since it's not hitting the side of the runners. To say the Bosch 60lb DW's are hard to tune is absolutely inaccurate.

There is no question, that every system gets better overtime and we've made countless updates to continue to make it better. With the 60's, we've been able to make more power safely (slightly richer targeted lambda), still have cat saver mode and plenty of fuel capacity if fuel psi falls (which certainly happens as pumps degrade) or one is running in cool conditions (denser air requires more flow capacity).

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

Shelby hands down has purchased the most, 4-5 times anyone else as the SC is part of there offering.

Actually we just retooled the inlet and manifold for the Raptor as the casting tooling was wearing. We also just came out with a new IC pump upgrade for the Raptor's, the same that we offer the Mustang applications.

We certainly don't develop new products on 10+ year old vehicles but the Raptor is less than 2 years old and many dealers still were offering them as close to 12 months ago. It's a very important product on our application list.

Thank you

2. JimIII@JDM

[email protected] Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

We didn't notice the change to the 60lb injectors until just last year. We only order the tuner kits and utilize the 47lb injectors in our kits so it went under our radar. We did notice for sometime that our customers would relay to us that even Whipple recommend 47lbs for tuning reasons. Any of our customers who had 60lb injectors we have switched to 47lbs and have been able to support their needs with them. 47lb injectors are not too small. They are applicable up to about 700HP. On Mustang applications we've supported well over 600 RWHP with them. On the Raptor trucks we like to keep our customers under the 550 RWHP mark as I mentioned before and at that point we have plenty of fuel getting to the motor with 47lbs.

Shelby being a larger dealer by volume than us I can believe since they are building production supercharged vehicles. As far as performance shops I once was curious and asked who sold the most Raptor kits and was told it was us and that we sold more combine than any other shop. We have sold 47lb injectors to and re-tuned a number of the Shelby trucks. When people call us looking to fix there driveability issues and want more performance this is how we give it to them, and everyone ends up happier than before. More power, better fuel economy, better shifting, throttle response, etc.. Some customers complained of low idle speed almost stalling and some causes did stall. Others complained that the trucks didn't have the power they felt it should. Most of the time our tunes don't add much more power its just the throttle response that makes it feel stronger. That's all I can say. We love the Supercharger, it's why we sell so many of them and it's our preferred kit on almost every vehicle application we offer!

3. Truckzor

Truckzor FRF Addict

Nice to finally see some real numbers and facts in this thread.

4. SHAI HULUD

SHAI HULUD Full Access Member

OP, as the dust settles in this thread, I'd just like to add something I think is more crucial to your original question. Rather than get bogged down in the details of which system is better and battling it out over the merits and differences of each. There will be fanboys on either side of the argument. Both Roush and Whipple are superior products. You can't go wrong with either on your Raptor provided you choose the right installer/tuner. Do your research on the shop. Find the one with the most experience and expertise installing and tuning these power adder systems. Shelby, Livernois, Roush, and JDM are all highly reputable companies with gobs of experience and expertise and will take care of you down the road.

5. MTF

MTF FRF Addict

Well Said!!!

I will add "SVC" to that list!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    SHAI HULUD likes this.
  6. oxfordraptor

oxfordraptor FRF Addict

Turbonator FTMFW!!! /thread

7. MTF

MTF FRF Addict

Your going to have to wait till the 2017s roll out.

oxfordraptor likes this.
  8. Crikk

Crikk Full Access Member

What tune are you running?