Whipple tune???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards the stage I. Any opinions appreciated, also I've seen 1,999- 2,199. What gives with the price difference?

Thanks
Tooth

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do a quick search, as there are massive threads on the Whipple Tune. Some good, some bad.

MPT is cheaper, if you do not want the CAI and IC.

hammer73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very happy with the Whipple. Ultimately decided for them. While being maybe a bit less aggressive (as in gained HP), I have some comfort in the fact that if Ford auctions special vehicles (F22 Raptor) they use Whipple. Word is that Whipple has direct access to Ford engineers.

True or not, I personally can’t confirm but I know my Whipple tune is fantastic.

18 SCrew Magnetic, Whipple tuned.

hammer73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ps... MPT numbers often assume 93 octane. In Oregon it’s 92 max what’s available.

OP
OP
tooth

tooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a quick search, as there are massive threads on the Whipple Tune. Some good, some bad.

MPT is cheaper, if you do not want the CAI and IC.

I want the cai, not sure the ic is necessary for my daily driver. Just wanna go faster. :)

802Avalanche

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whipple Stage 1 here. I used their CAI, but I didn’t use their intercooler. My front bumper required a different intercooler.

No complaints about the Whipple tune itself. Quite happy with it. Same for the quality of their parts.

I didn’t want the most aggressive tune. I wanted more power, while still maintaining reasonable reliability and durability. I still want the truck to function as an only vehicle, run in the extreme cold, and in the desert heat as it was designed to. I felt that Whipple was the safest bet for that.

At times their customer service response times have not been the quickest, which leads to my only concern...

You’re kind of stuck with Whipple once your truck is tuned by them. I’m not an expert on the subject, but if you read the threads you’ll find info on it. For example, you can’t just roll up to a Ford dealer and get your PCM updated with the latest Ford iteration. Ford won’t even recognize your stuff anymore. In that case, if Ford releases some update PCM tomorrow, my Ford dealer can’t even tell if I have it, and couldn’t give it to me if I was dying to have it. I’d have to get Whipple to send me an updated tune file specifically for my truck. Maybe that’s not a big deal. Time will tell. I’ve also read it’s no so easy with Whipple to flash my tune back to OEM like you can with other tuners. Just something to be aware of, before you jump in.

hammer73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any tune causes Ford no longer able to identify needed software upgrades. This is not Whipple specific.

Whipple indeed doesn’t proactively include the standard tune (even when I asked).
That said, I tuned and don’t worry about it when taking it in for service. Don’t ask/don’t tell (the dealer... )

802Avalanche

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any tune causes Ford no longer able to identify needed software upgrades. This is not Whipple specific.

Whipple indeed doesn’t proactively include the standard tune (even when I asked).
That said, I tuned and don’t worry about it when taking it in for service. Don’t ask/don’t tell (the dealer... )

I’m not worried about my dealer. They installed it for me. Just saying I don’t have a stock tune lying around on a drive somewhere that I can switch back to at will like the guys with an Ngauge tune from a custom tuner can.

And what about if/when I’m ready for Stage 2 or 3? I’m gonna have to get back to stock somehow to get a custom tune at that point. Whipple has no immediate plans for a Stage 2 last I spoke to them.

I guess the point is, Whipple is a canned off the shelf tune designed for 100% otherwise stock trucks. It’s not like a typical custom tuner experience. There are alleged closer ties to Ford engineering, which was part of the attraction for me.

Like I said, I’m quite happy with it at this point in time. Just buyer beware is all, as is the case with all tuning/tuners.

Sharkus29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very happy with the Whipple. Ultimately decided for them. While being maybe a bit less aggressive (as in gained HP), I have some comfort in the fact that if Ford auctions special vehicles (F22 Raptor) they use Whipple. Word is that Whipple has direct access to Ford engineers.

True or not, I personally can’t confirm but I know my Whipple tune is fantastic.

I was reading and Shelby also uses Whipples stage 1 kit for the Baja Raptor :happy107: