Whipple! To do or not to do!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FGHT ON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have it on my ‘17 (took ownership in April of ‘17 - installed in summer of ‘17)

I’m a big fan. I def noticed a difference in power, but more importantly the trans and shifting (I know that was a bigger issue in the early gen 2). I would absolutely spend the money again to do it. I never had it dynoed and can’t compare to any other tunes, but it haul for a big heavy truck w mud tires.

There is def still turbo lag though, but I’m also comparing it to my 991.2 (which is also tuned) and the trans has an impact on that as well.

RadRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Different dealers are different with mods... Sac Ford seems ok, only if they install.... You are also close to Auburn, I had M45 in Auburn do a Cobb stage 2 kit on my 19 and it Rips... no issues, I have 5K miles on the tune, ran it in 95degree No Cal weather at 90+ mph.. its awesome.. Highly recommend those guys and Cobb

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What’s everyone’s feelings on the whipple inter cooler and intake set up! My dealership says if I have them install it will not void any of my extended warranty! 2020 gen ford raptor!!

If your extended warranty is through Ford Protect, any engine related failure that can be attributed to the tune will not be covered. Same applies to the factory 5/60 Powertrain warranty.

Once you modify the factory parameters that control the engine, you're assuming responsibility for any and all consequences.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Different dealers are different with mods... Sac Ford seems ok, only if they install.... You are also close to Auburn, I had M45 in Auburn do a Cobb stage 2 kit on my 19 and it Rips... no issues, I have 5K miles on the tune, ran it in 95degree No Cal weather at 90+ mph.. its awesome.. Highly recommend those guys and Cobb

Dealers should be following the Warranty & Policy Manual, which clearly outlines that what is and isn't covered under the factory warranty. Any failure that directly results from the modification or can be attributed to the modification is not warrantable. For major issues, such as an engine failure, a factory rep is typically involved and will determine whether the failure is warrantable or not. So regardless of what the dealer says, many times it's not even their decision. If they're claiming that a mod is warrantable if they install it, make sure they put it in writing. Because as soon as the OE rep denies coverage, the burden of cost to repair is going to be between you and the dealer.

OP
OP
SamIAm

SamIAm

Reaction score
So here in sac
Dealers should be following the Warranty & Policy Manual, which clearly outlines that what is and isn't covered under the factory warranty. Any failure that directly results from the modification or can be attributed to the modification is not warrantable. For major issues, such as an engine failure, a factory rep is typically involved and will determine whether the failure is warrantable or not. So regardless of what the dealer says, many times it's not even their decision. If they're claiming that a mod is warrantable if they install it, make sure they put it in writing. Because as soon as the OE rep denies coverage, the burden of cost to repair is going to be between you and the dealer.
ramento there is a performance division, and that’s all they do, from suspension, super chargers and all types of mods, does it void the warranty, I’m not sure...they say don’t worry about anything they install, they will take care of me, just do it... now the esp warranty says don’t do at all, who do you believe? The more important detail is that I purchased the 8 yr , 150k warranty, and will these cool guys that have been so helpful remember me in year 8? Scary gamble but definitely want to do!

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So here in sac

ramento there is a performance division, and that’s all they do, from suspension, super chargers and all types of mods, does it void the warranty, I’m not sure...they say don’t worry about anything they install, they will take care of me, just do it... now the esp warranty says don’t do at all, who do you believe? The more important detail is that I purchased the 8 yr , 150k warranty, and will these cool guys that have been so helpful remember me in year 8? Scary gamble but definitely want to do!

I agree it is a scary gamble with your money. Unless you get the “we will honor your 8 year 150K warranty” in writing, I would not do it. Too many factors and all they have to say is where do you have it in writing...

As others have said, there are many better choices than Whipple if you decide to go down the modification route. I did my build after 2 months, but I will never buy an extended warranty because every major system has been modded to some degree.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So here in sacramento there is a performance division, and that’s all they do, from suspension, super chargers and all types of mods, does it void the warranty, I’m not sure...they say don’t worry about anything they install, they will take care of me, just do it... now the esp warranty says don’t do at all, who do you believe? The more important detail is that I purchased the 8 yr , 150k warranty, and will these cool guys that have been so helpful remember me in year 8? Scary gamble but definitely want to do!

The Ford franchise agreement does not include anything related to a dealership "performance division" or agreement that the dealer can install aftermarket components. The dealers that advertise these rogue "performance shops" often come up with convincing names like "Galpin Auto Sports" (GAS) or "Ken Grody Customs". It's all a facade to sell customers aftermarket parts with a mark up under the premise that they won't void the factory or extended Ford warranty, which simply isn't true.

Any aftermarket component, regardless of brand or who installs it, has the potential to void the warranty on any factory system if the modification is related or attributable to the failure that has occurred. So if the dealer installs a supercharger system and a piston melts down, that is between the customer and the dealership. It's not warrantable through your factory powertrain coverage. If the customer does not have a dealer-backed express warranty for the coverage of the powertrain should a failure occur due to the modifications, good luck.

OP
OP
SamIAm

SamIAm

Reaction score
The Ford franchise agreement does not include anything related to a dealership "performance division" or agreement that the dealer can install aftermarket components. The dealers that advertise these rogue "performance shops" often come up with convincing names like "Galpin Auto Sports" (GAS) or "Ken Grody Customs". It's all a facade to sell customers aftermarket parts with a mark up under the premise that they won't void the factory or extended Ford warranty, which simply isn't true.

Any aftermarket component, regardless of brand or who installs it, has the potential to void the warranty on any factory system if the modification is related or attributable to the failure that has occurred. So if the dealer installs a supercharger system and a piston melts down, that is between the customer and the dealership. It's not warrantable through your factory powertrain coverage. If the customer does not have a dealer-backed express warranty for the coverage of the powertrain should a failure occur due to the modifications, good luck.
I agree with you on that, so why does anyone chance it on aftermarket parts? You have to be convinced it’s better for your truck and that it won’t do any harm. My understanding with the performance division, is that it wouldn’t put the truck through the normal warranty protocol as others, you would bring back to there section and they would then deal with warranty issues with the factory. Knowing your fully covered, they may leave out or reword what the claim is and then being part of an actual dealership that ford probably won’t look into it and just approve of the fix.

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is such bullshizz....not your post just the fact.... I get ford not wanting to take responsibility for a tanked engine if by any chance a tune did it. But at this point with all these tuning companies you would think there would be some partnership agreement. You’re telling me the guys/gals at JDM or 5 star are going to make a tune that blows up a turbo? Not likely as they also do not want the liability. Just find it irritating that ford can try to blame a tune. Sure tunes mess with some things but show me a tune that blows a motor/turbo. ESP with the track record of these gen2s ie the guys who’s motor blew on the first day off the lot....does ford really have to room to talk?(rhetorical)

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The ford factory tune has motors locking up, phaser going out, cameras faulting, (insert any of the many gen2 issue threads on here) How are they to blame/not cover any of the known issues because of an aftermarket tune. I’d be interested in a poll of those with tunes and the issues they have vs the factory tune. Ford might be able to benefit from the (potentially)better tunes.

Ford warranty needs to get out from there mahogany desks and three piece suits and back behind a wheel in a one piece suit.