GEN 2 Whipple Stage 1 Kit Feedback Thread!

Feedback on Whipple Tune

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xcommie

Reaction score
I had the Whipple tune in my 2017. It’s probably the most reliable tune The problem is if you want to go back to stock it’s going to be a real problem. Their reasoning is they don’t want you going back-and-forth because it’s hard on your computer. So if you don’t have a problem with that then I would go with the Whipple tune. Other than that Ford is going to know no matter what tune you put in or what you do Ford’s going to know so just keep that in mind before you tune.

What if I find another computer at a junk yard and swap it out and keep the Whipple for the future?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the Whipple tune in my 2017. It’s probably the most reliable tune The problem is if you want to go back to stock it’s going to be a real problem. Their reasoning is they don’t want you going back-and-forth because it’s hard on your computer. So if you don’t have a problem with that then I would go with the Whipple tune. Other than that Ford is going to know no matter what tune you put in or what you do Ford’s going to know so just keep that in mind before you tune.

i normally mod all my cars lol, and if something goes wrong its a reason for me to upgrade the parts to better ones , i service my own truck and use much better oils and parts then the dealer would do. but i know many people like to have their warranty not voided and that just depends on what service manager you get i suppose.

Xcommie

Reaction score
Whipple tune is designed for stock vehicles. It does not produce quite as much increase as an MPT tune. Some owner's with additional modifications (downpipes, exhausts, etc) have gotten slightly different tunes but that is not a guarantee and certainly not what is marketed or sold. The tune will adapt to varying octane but is designed for a minimum of 91 octane. It is not compatible with E85 which would require an upgraded tank fuel pump, fuel injectors, etc. Whipple comes out with updated tunes from time to time and your brother will just need to contact them. They will send him the file for free and he uses the Tomahawk to install. If he did not get the Tomahawk or the former owner bought the tune back when you had to send in your PCM, he will have to either send in his PCM to receive the update or purchase the flash tool for about $300. Having the latest tune is well worth the effort.
Hmm, I got the tuner. I'll contact Whipple see if they have an updated tune. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

mad man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only device that saves you stock tune in it , is the Sct or bully dog unit

ericburney

Desert is the best medicine
Reaction score
I had the Whipple tune on my 17. I drove to their shop and had them install it from a laptop to my truck.

It was okay, ran it for about a year then decided to switch to a more powerful tune.

It takes some work to remove it. It is embedded rather than flashed onto the truck. I worked with Whipple's tech support and they were able to get me back to "stock" . However, sinces I was one if the first Buyers of their stage 1 kit, I had to buy their tomahawk programmer $300+
to use once to remove their tune....so I proceeded to shop the tunes and decided on Gearhead. The owner, Lars, owns a 17 Raptor as well. He and Ngauge had to figure out getting the GH tune on after Whipple had removed their embedded tune. I now use the Ngauge and have the ability to add,remove or switch tunes. It takes work but I'm glad I did it.

Screenshot_20190505-072440.png

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since at least Oct 2018 Whipple has been providing owner's stock tunes for their trucks. Many of the commenters here are not Whipple tune owners and many much prefer other tunes (some even sell and install them, imagine that) and like to bad mouth the lesser performance of the Whipple tune. All fine, all good. But to continue to spread the false info that you can't get back to stock with a Whipple tune is just uninformed.

mad man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whipple has a great tune. Originally the only way to get your factory tune that matches your ecm/tcm was to send in you ecm to them. Other than that they sent you a generic stock tune . That’s the last I heard .?

18RaptorOW

Reaction score
What is everyone paying for the install?

I was quoted $2100 kit, $600 install, $600 for a 3 year warranty + TAX = $3500.

This is going through my dealership so added peace of mind may come into play with this cost.

mad man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is everyone paying for the install?

I was quoted $2100 kit, $600 install, $600 for a 3 year warranty + TAX = $3500.

This is going through my dealership so added peace of mind may come into play with this cost.
The price is fair, the thing to get clear on is, what are they warranting.