GEN 2 Whipple Stage 1 Kit Feedback Thread!

Feedback on Whipple Tune

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Toadster

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
After close to 1k miles on my whipple stage 1 setup I managed to get the check engine light to come on after flooring the truck in 4A from a dead stop. I eased off right away and after a minute the check engine light went away. I am trying to trouble shoot what that could of been, I was keeping an eye on the knock sensor and did not see it go into the negatives, but the engine felt differently like it lost power. I only get shell vpower 91 ( California ). I am still using stock plugs but gapped to whipple specs. Anyone else experience this? I am trying to pull the engine code with my odb tool and then with the whipple one and will post back here once I do. Thanks.

Haven't had that experience in 4k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

That's not good to hear Jeremy. I am thinking of requesting the stock tune from Whipple to try and trouble shoot this. It seems to have gotten a little better, but is still pretty annoying.

On a good note, I paired up with a Focus RS tonight and took him by a couple of car lengths. I kept the distance and slightly gained some space up to about 115 before I figured enough was enough.
Did some 0-60 estimates and it seems like I'm right around 5 seconds with about 2K RPM engine braking, but it's hard to gauge without the right equipment.
I got behind a Cherokee SRT that stepped on it and I stayed with him pretty well, but up at the higher RPM's in 3rd and 4th he pulled away as the truck thought about how to shift.
Overall I'm pretty pleased with the performance, and I've been playing some with the paddle shifters but need to practice a little more. The second and a half lag between shifting and engaging is taking some getting used to.

Paddle shifters in the Raptor are for looks/ bragging - the transmission shifts pretty good on its own after the Whipple tune... The paddles have a LOT of lag in them

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't had that experience in 4k miles

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

Paddle shifters in the Raptor are for looks/ bragging - the transmission shifts pretty good on its own after the Whipple tune... The paddles have a LOT of lag in them

In SPORT mode under moderate or greater throttle that has not been my experience in M mode. In fact the last time I straddled up next to another enthusiast on the line my truck barked the tires 1-2, 2–3 and the shifts were instantaneous, all that happened under 4A! It can shift, normal vs sport greatly changes the clutch engagement and power available during those shifts. Manual mode normal and manual mode sport are NOT the same shifting strategies.

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

I’ll add this, I have a quick trigger finger and I do t think I can get my finger off the paddle before it actually shifts through the first four gears. It is PDK quick.

Michelleandrews

FRF Lady
FRF Lady
Reaction score
I am really leaning towards the Whipple upgrade and reading all the feedback, I'm sold. Where do I find the group buy? And how much of a discount is there with the group buy? I know it sells for $2k. Thanks for the help.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am really leaning towards the Whipple upgrade and reading all the feedback, I'm sold. Where do I find the group buy? And how much of a discount is there with the group buy? I know it sells for $2k. Thanks for the help.

No more group buy. Was $1400.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m still waiting to hear about a tune that is easily removed and doesn’t throw codes. I want one that adjusts for octane. I don’t care if it doesn’t make the most hp. One that improves the slow trans as well. Who should I be looking for when it arrives ?

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m still waiting to hear about a tune that is easily removed and doesn’t throw codes. I want one that adjusts for octane. I don’t care if it doesn’t make the most hp. One that improves the slow trans as well. Who should I be looking for when it arrives ?

Aside from some the occasional odd shifts, which also happened with the stock tune, my Whipple has been flawless. Regapped stock plugs from early-2017 and it just runs, great. No codes. I always run 93, they say it needs 91.

OP
OP
Toadster

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Aside from some the occasional odd shifts, which also happened with the stock tune, my Whipple has been flawless. Regapped stock plugs from early-2017 and it just runs, great. No codes. I always run 93, they say it needs 91.

Yep the Whipple tune includes over 1200 trans updates over the stock tune

Not sure if other tunes have the amount of data to compare since the tune is sourced from Ford programming - it's more than tweaks to shift points, it's derived from tons of feedback too

Obscure

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep the Whipple tune includes over 1200 trans updates over the stock tune

Not sure if other tunes have the amount of data to compare since the tune is sourced from Ford programming - it's more than tweaks to shift points, it's derived from tons of feedback too

I don't think this is correct... According to Whipple they do nothing with the shift logic and TCM. I've spoken to them and there is talk about them doing it in the future though, but nothing promised.