GEN 2 Whipple Stage 1 Kit Feedback Thread!

Feedback on Whipple Tune

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes

Normal ecoboost blow-by.

Loving mine. Everyday driving is much more enjoyable, great shifts and throttle response. BTW Is it normal to have a bit of oil in the old intercooler. Found about a spoonful of oil pooled in the hoses that connected to the stock cooler when I did the install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replace the plugs with one step colder plugs, Motorcraft SP542s and gap to .025

My truck runs amazing and smooth with these plugs. They are at your local Ford dealer.

That’s what I picked up the other day, they are all gapped and ready to go but I have just been busy with work. I did have to talk the Ford parts guy down on price, they wanted $11 a plug and I got him to drop it to $8. He did admit they pay $6.06 a plug for them. lol

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
Good for you. Thankfully spark plug changes are very quick and easy on the f150 ecoboost.

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got them changed and you could tell by the sound it’s running better, and by the test drive it’s really running better. It’s real smooth and Chrisp. I had forgotten I dumped a bottle of Lucas Octane booster in and think the plugs really didn’t like it.

A question for everyone not just the Whipple stage 1 people. When go through the gears and it gets up 4500rpms + do you hear a sort of ticking noise? I think it’s the Wastegates but wasn’t sure. Also in Manuel mode if you bring it up to 4000-5500 then don’t shift and just lift off the gas is that noise the wastegates making that noise.

300 miles and this is what the plugs looked like.

Attachments

• 985DC56A-E2A8-44A5-AAC1-BA59748FBD7F.jpg
    985DC56A-E2A8-44A5-AAC1-BA59748FBD7F.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 137

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got them changed and you could tell by the sound it’s running better, and by the test drive it’s really running better. It’s real smooth and Chrisp. I had forgotten I dumped a bottle of Lucas Octane booster in and think the plugs really didn’t like it.

A question for everyone not just the Whipple stage 1 people. When go through the gears and it gets up 4500rpms + do you hear a sort of ticking noise? I think it’s the Wastegates but wasn’t sure. Also in Manuel mode if you bring it up to 4000-5500 then don’t shift and just lift off the gas is that noise the wastegates making that noise.

300 miles and this is what the plugs looked like.

I hear that ticking around 60mph or so, WOT. Almost sounds like knocking but it isn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kpg81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear that ticking around 60mph or so, WOT. Almost sounds like knocking but it isn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get the same thing, sometimes accelerating in low speeds there's a rattle that almost sounds like knocking. Probably the wastegate. It's a Ford, so par for the course I guess.

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well on my way to get breakfast this cold morning I hadn’t gone past 1/4 throttle and when I pushed it to 1/3 throttle it threw a wrench code P130D. Searching the Internet it says Knock issues but the ford Pass app says different.

I did search the forum for that code and got no results, anyone have any ideas? Also I was wondering if it’s true we can’t flash back to stock?

Edit: I cleared the code and drove around a bit and it came back on and cleared it again, If it comes on again i will take it to the dealer. I did however at low speeds under acceleration hear a ticking noise which sounded like it was coming from the axle but doesn't do it all the time. I have this nagging feeling I am gonna be " that guy" that has all the issues.SMH

I also Decided to do a data capture so see what the motor is doing and does anyone know what the Knock numbers mean?? With the other plugs it only went up to .9-1.5 but this morning it was showing 5.9?

Attachments

• 7C3B9D11-4EDC-4A93-AB9A-1C350A326363.jpg
    7C3B9D11-4EDC-4A93-AB9A-1C350A326363.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 151
  • FEF762EC-D0B1-4A68-B52A-C89AE29DF458.jpg
    FEF762EC-D0B1-4A68-B52A-C89AE29DF458.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

Sharkus29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well on my way to get breakfast this cold morning I hadn’t gone past 1/4 throttle and when I pushed it to 1/3 throttle it threw a wrench code P130D. Searching the Internet it says Knock issues but the ford Pass app says different.

I did search the forum for that code and got no results, anyone have any ideas? Also I was wondering if it’s true we can’t flash back to stock?

Edit: I cleared the code and drove around a bit and it came back on and cleared it again, If it comes on again i will take it to the dealer. I did however at low speeds under acceleration hear a ticking noise which sounded like it was coming from the axle but doesn't do it all the time. I have this nagging feeling I am gonna be " that guy" that has all the issues.SMH

I also Decided to do a data capture so see what the motor is doing and does anyone know what the Knock numbers mean?? With the other plugs it only went up to .9-1.5 but this morning it was showing 5.9?

Is it still the same tank of gas that you put octane booster in?