GEN 2 Whipple Stage 1 Kit Feedback Thread!

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods' started by Toadster, Jan 4, 2018.

Feedback on Whipple Tune

1. Love It

19.7%
  2. Still Testing

3.9%
  3. Unsure

6.3%
  4. I'm just here to watch...

72.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. k-rub

k-rub Full Access Member

I'm thinking about switching. I'll post up thoughts if I do.

Toadster likes this.
  2. jikjak

jikjak Full Access Member

Ah i see now, the dyno graph on whipple's site states 91 octane but on the description page the hp and tq gain numbers have an asterisk beside them and on the bottom of the page it says this:

*Flywheel power ratings with 93 octane. Power levels may vary depending on octane and conditions.

It would definitely be nice to see more information on the SPD downpipes. Does anyone know if you still need the SPD adapter when buying their downpipes?

There definitely is a big difference in price when comparing SPD catted dp to the kooks green catted downpipes ($750vs$1325). Apparently the kooks green dp work well and do not throw any codes.

Toadster likes this.
  3. Truckzor

Truckzor FRF Addict

I don't know anything about the SPD cats but I personally would be very hesitant to use any aftermarket cats other than Kooks' green cats.

jikjak likes this.
  4. Whipple Charged

Whipple Charged Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The biggest torque gain peaks around 2600rpm if you do a pull from 1200rpm to redline, that's where that massive peak torque change is. Todd's stock made a bit more torque, but they also vary greatly down low. From 100% stock, we have seen those gains, but in the end, that's still around 450rwtrq, 91 octane and about 480ish on 93 octane. The torque mentioned is not peak to peak, but gain at certain area's of the curve. This is what everyone loves about the cal, the low end grunt.

Downpipes are certainly good investments, I would put them in but I can't get those passed for emissions. But, they may set cat codes, in which case, anti foulers work to eliminate this issue.

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

I agree with Kooks Cats.

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

Our air intake flows WAY more than ever needed. Stock apps pickup up an honest 10-12rwhp with just the intake so its not a waste or a smoke in mirror product so to speak. Only issue, the intake by itself will typically set a air leak code as it sees it has more airflow from its calculated value.

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

One thing you guys should all know, if you have to turn a code off in a custom cal, your monitors will most likely never set because you can't actually turn the codes off on the Raptors, they are hard coded. So you can turn it off, the code on the light won't show, but the PCM won't run any test since there's a pending code in the background. If your trying to have an emissions friendly setup, be aware it won't pass.

Toadster, jikjak, mad man and 2 others like this.
  5. jmrekieta

jmrekieta Member

Whipple Charged,

Solid, quick, and detailed response as usual. Two thumbs way up.

Might just have to skip the wait for the next (if ever) group buy. Just too excited to rock this setup.

6. kpg81

kpg81 Full Access Member

Do it and you won't regret it!

jmrekieta and Toadster like this.
  7. jikjak

jikjak Full Access Member

@Whipple Charged Thanks for the reply and clearing that up! As stated above, quick and detailed! What kind of dyno do you guys use?

BTW should i send in my ecu file and get my tune now (ahead of time) or am i better off just waiting until Im ready to install my parts? (seems like tunes get updated from time to time)
    Im still waiting for some other parts to arrive and have a baby due in the next couple weeks so i may not be able to install for another month or so.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  8. kpg81

kpg81 Full Access Member

I literally spun my 37" Baja TA Projects all the way through 1st gear today, with traction control still on ! Lots of axle wrap and noise... In wondering because the speedo isn't corrected for 37s if the traction control is affected?

Either way the tune is crazy since I couldn't even spin my stock 35s lol

Going Deavers and the Fox IBP bumpstop setup so there's no more axle wrap and wheel hop with all this extra power.

9. Toadster

Toadster FRF Addict

Boo yah!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Whipple Charged

Whipple Charged Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

We have the updates available, along with the tire/axle change fix so just send an email with your vin and we can send you a new bin and app file, you’ll be good to go :)

If we make updates later, you can always update again. We don’t limit the updates.

And yes when you have that baby, your not gonna have anytime! Lol