GEN 2 Whipple Performance Upgrade Kit and Tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Homer Jay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone datalogged the Whipple tune after installing it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whipple Charged

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm thinking I don't care about 50 state carb compliance. I'm thinking I've heard enough Whipple fear mongering too.

If you read this thread MR Whipple and his fanboys will tell you every tune is bad and only theirs is the path to salvation.

News flashes. They haven't set a single truck ecoboost record that I'm aware. They are beating the drum as to how great their tune is without posting a dyno graph. They want to sell you a kit with an intercooler that most people don't need.

I'll say it one last time. It sounds like a perfectly fine mild tune. I'll be happy to let you admire my tail lights at the next traffic light.

QUOTE=Glamisfan;1197805]I'm Thinking whipple is the FP tune it just needs to clear all govt testing regulations for longevity etc

That’s what I been wondering/thinking too.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

We certainly don't state other tunes are issues, but its pretty basic, there is no magic at the aftermarket level to make power. It's air, fuel and spark. Burn more air and fuel, you will make more power. Raise the compression, whether its with cam timing, boost or air fuel, it will make more power. What matters is first, what's legal, while many don't care, it is a growing issue that more should be aware of. Second, what will live in all applications. We can make 450, even 475RWHP, did it during testing. That was more timing, leaner air fuel. But, on 91 octane, in the summer, it is detonating at all times with WOT, no trailer. The knock sensor follows it, until it loses control during steady state. Then boom, piston fails because they can't take level 3 detonation. But one could run it here, its just not going to be safe for 40,000, 60,000+ miles of abusive driving. The testing levels and how to calculate the proper torque calculations is the most important part, peak power is next.

Most of this info is too much for customers, but its something to think about. Is there more power to be had? 100% but it lowers the safety factor. 93 octane adds a safety factor, but our cal also picks up 20rwhp on 93 vs 91 which puts you even higher and closer to other power levels.

wipit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s what I been wondering/thinking too.
[/QUOTE]

We certainly don't state other tunes are issues, but its pretty basic, there is no magic at the aftermarket level to make power. It's air, fuel and spark. Burn more air and fuel, you will make more power. Raise the compression, whether its with cam timing, boost or air fuel, it will make more power. What matters is first, what's legal, while many don't care, it is a growing issue that more should be aware of. Second, what will live in all applications. We can make 450, even 475RWHP, did it during testing. That was more timing, leaner air fuel. But, on 91 octane, in the summer, it is detonating at all times with WOT, no trailer. The knock sensor follows it, until it loses control during steady state. Then boom, piston fails because they can't take level 3 detonation. But one could run it here, its just not going to be safe for 40,000, 60,000+ miles of abusive driving. The testing levels and how to calculate the proper torque calculations is the most important part, peak power is next.

Most of this info is too much for customers, but its something to think about. Is there more power to be had? 100% but it lowers the safety factor. 93 octane adds a safety factor, but our cal also picks up 20rwhp on 93 vs 91 which puts you even higher and closer to other power levels.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Whipple for making a lot clear, would a methanol injection kit not be what the answer is for this truck.

I own a ford lightning with a 3.4 whipple on it boosting 20 to 22psi.
We found the answer in a methanol kit.

Whipple Charged

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Most of this info is too much for customers, but its something to think about. Is there more power to be had? 100% but it lowers the safety factor. 93 octane adds a safety factor, but our cal also picks up 20rwhp on 93 vs 91 which puts you even higher and closer to other power levels.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Whipple for making a lot clear, would a methanol injection kit not be what the answer is for this truck.

We found the answer in a methanol kit.[/QUOTE]

Methanol would help and the system will auto advance timing, if done in the right amount it will make more power. The best way though, is to lean the target air fuel more, you combine leaner and more timing, that's where the real power is. The only danger of making a cal specific for an add on is if you run out of water/****.

wipit

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Most of this info is too much for customers, but its something to think about. Is there more power to be had? 100% but it lowers the safety factor. 93 octane adds a safety factor, but our cal also picks up 20rwhp on 93 vs 91 which puts you even higher and closer to other power levels.

We found the answer in a methanol kit.[/QUOTE]

Methanol would help and the system will auto advance timing, if done in the right amount it will make more power. The best way though, is to lean the target air fuel more, you combine leaner and more timing, that's where the real power is. The only danger of making a cal specific for an add on is if you run out of water/****.[/QUOTE]

I understand but leaning her out without proper fuel. Thats a no. I'm following each conversation closely. But for anyone who want more power needs to know if using methanol check your level upon leaving home. But i understand what you mean.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your point is taken.

However, there is also an element of fear mongering at work. The old, "go with our tune because it's safe! Go with another tune and you could blow up your truck!" So says the guy selling the Whipple tune.

I have quality 93 octane fuel in ready supply. I have experienced no knocking, no pinging, and no excess increase in any of my temperatures via data logging. I also have 2-5 degrees of knock retard firing which, surprise, is also what I have with a data logged stock tune.

No, I'm not towing with my truck. Yes, I was told to flash a milder tune if I want to haul a heavy load.

Will my truck last as long as a bone stock one? I doubt it. I also don't care. I'll have the gen 3 Raptor before I crack 40,000 miles on this one and it'll be traded in for someone else to enjoy.

In the mean time, I'm happy to have more power!

That’s what I been wondering/thinking too.
[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
MTF

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You know Guy, Whipple by no means is in any kind of Tune wars.
I'm the one that started this thread, and wanted to just share the info for you jenny guys.
You can take Whipple's knowledge with the R&D they did and still are, on the H.O. 3.5L any way you want.
I'm surprised he even answered my email to look at the thread I started.

Last edited:

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know what?

You're right.

I'm going to shut up now.

You know Guy, Whipple by no means is in any kind of Tune wars.
I'm the one that started this thread, and wanted to just share the info for you jenny guys.
You can take Whipple's knowledge with the R&D they did on the H.O. 3.5L any way you want.
I'm surprised he even answered my email to look at the thread I started.

Whipple Charged

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Your point is taken.

However, there is also an element of fear mongering at work. The old, "go with our tune because it's safe! Go with another tune and you could blow up your truck!" So says the guy selling the Whipple tune.

I have quality 93 octane fuel in ready supply. I have experienced no knocking, no pinging, and no excess increase in any of my temperatures via data logging. I also have 2-5 degrees of knock retard firing which, surprise, is also what I have with a data logged stock tune.

No, I'm not towing with my truck. Yes, I was told to flash a milder tune if I want to haul a heavy load.

Will my truck last as long as a bone stock one? I doubt it. I also don't care. I'll have the gen 3 Raptor before I crack 40,000 miles on this one and it'll be traded in for someone else to enjoy.

In the mean time, I'm happy to have more power!

Most of this info is too much for customers, but its something to think about. Is there more power to be had? 100% but it lowers the safety factor. 93 octane adds a safety factor, but our cal also picks up 20rwhp on 93 vs 91 which puts you even higher and closer to other power levels.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Guy,

I completely agree with you, except for you not knocking/pinging. The nature of the Ford controller is to maximize timing at all times and run at level 1 detonation. The knock system adds and subtracts at all times so your is knocking at some point, but the system is controlling it most likely if you don't audibly hear pinging. 1-2 audible pings is normal and no issue, more than this and it's uncontrolled. I'm sure you know all this but just wanted to clarify. Also many are data logging the wrong knock parameters as well as the Raptor controls timing per cylinder so this has added to confusion with some people.

Our cal hovers at 0 adding/subtracting on the dyno with 91. Add 93, it adds 3-4 typically. I'm sure others are using the same process to there advantage as stock Fords have been doing this for years.

Thank you

DallasDave

Reaction score
PCM sent out to Whipple today! YES!!!

Sorry if I've disappointed any of the Programmer fans! Just a personal preference from pass history with them. I want to install something that I just have to push the gas peddle not buttons on a display to change my driving desire and hope I have it set right.

Sent Stainless Works Downpipes back today. Whipple said they didn't know if their tune would take care of down pipes throughing code. They never tested their tune with a set installed. Not a big deal. Never saw any real hp gain numbers with them anyway. Just going with SPD spacers and S-Type Borla for exhaust. Already have them. Will install them as soon as PCM is back. Plus I can use the $900 for more toys for my Raptor!!!