Whipple Installed - Couple minor issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all. My raptor has been in the shop for a while getting some mods installed. I went with the 700hp Whipple stage 2 kit from JDM. Also did RPG traction bars, SW cat back exhaust and axle exchange DS.

I changed to the 3.25" pulley as compared to the 3.50" pulley that came on the whipple. I've noticed a little surging while accelerating moderately in 4th. It's not noticeable if you just mash the throttle to WOT. Does the truck need a different tune when switching from 3.5 to 3.25" pulley? If no, any ideas on the surging?

I have a small clank when taking off from a stop sign. Only in forward and I cannot repeat the sound unless I come to a stop from at least like a 20 mph stop. I can't get the noise to make the "clank" when shifting into reverse or moving in reverse from a stop. I'll get it up on some jack stands when I get a little time, but nothing looked obvious.

If I'm in 3rd gear and accelerating to the point to where it shifts down to 2nd gear, it shifts down HARD. It did it twice yesterday, but hadn't noticed before that (also after 3.5 to 3.25 pulley).

The truck has 80,500 miles on it and the SC has been on for about 600 miles now.

Any input would be much appreciated.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a DSC-1 it surges on startup. Sometimes and a little at idle until it warms up

It shifts hard sometimes from 2-3 and 3-4. Downshifts some hard from 3-2, like it got kicked in the face.

I put it to a S/C thing

TiFJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently put on a Whipple Stage 1, probably have around 600 miles on it now too. I haven't noticed any surging like you described and I don't think I have any new clanks since the SC went on. I get a hard 2-3 shift when it's cold and have had a couple hardish downshifts but nothing that really worried me.

TiFJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple of things to check WRT the surging, could be running lean due to:
  • Fuel pressure (regulated by the fuel pump and regulator or a clogged filter),
  • Restricted fuel injectors,
  • A vacuum leak,
  • Anything else that throws off the fuel mixture going in to the engine.

Blacktor

Reaction score
Stage 2 kit here with 12% OD lower pulley and 3.25 upper among other things. I had the kit as it came from whipple. I had 2 different local tuners try to get rid of the surge. Finally reached out to JDM and they had me get rid of the big whipple branded throttle body and go to the ford racing cobra jet one. They also had me change from the 60lb injectors to the 80lbs. New tune and the surge/drivability improvement is incredible. Only very minor nuances now haha.

perry

Reaction score
Embrace the surge, comes with the package. No clue on your clank. You can flop over to manual shift to avoid the bone crushing up/down shifts.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's all in the tune. The surging and the harsh trans shifting.

It has to go on a chassis dyno and get a custom tune to clean that up.

Someone who knows what they are doing can make it drive just like stock in all aspects- other than the massive power increase.

Blacktor is right about the huge oval T/Bs too, they are hard to deal with. They go from zero to hero so quickly....

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Since @BSouders80 went with the JDM kit he already has the smaller twin 65mm TB and the smaller 47 lbs. injectors.
There shouldn't be any surging,
at least that's what everyone has stated when downsizing to the JDM requirements to run their Tune.

I do not have any surging with Whipple's Tune, Twin 68mm TB, 60 lbs. injectors and 3.375 pulley.
I will add that I also am running the Gen 2 compressor.
The Gen 4 compressor does have more boost at lower rpm which does make it harder to control the throttle body.

Going from 3.500 to 3.250 is kind of a big step if no adjustments were made to the Tune.
And if JDM wasn't made aware of the exhaust mod,
I would say you're going to need to do some data logging with JDM.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BSouders80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in reply. It was a very busy week for me. I did go with the bigger throttle body when I purchased my kit from JDM. The polished throttle body with the ford racing inscribed on it. Also went with the 78LB injectors. I have a semi-local tuner that tunes my hellcat when I do mods to it. I can ask if he'd be interested in tuning the Raptor for me. But, I may give JDM a call and ask for their input first.