Whipple HP Recipes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stricken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Long time Lightning owner here. I've wanted a Raptor since they were first announced, and I finally pulled the trigger on a 2014 SCREW. I went to a turbo setup on my Lightning and have missed the supercharger whine (and torque) ever since, so a Whipple is in my Raptor's future.

I've gathered that ~550whp is the safe power level on the stock engine. Will something like the JDM 700hp Whipple kit get me there by itself or do I need a full exhaust and other mods? My plan is to get to the safe limit of the stock engine for now, then build an engine for it later on, and I was hoping a few Whipple owners could shed some light on what to expect.

***I tried the search function and wasn't finding the answers I was looking for***

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is a TON of info on here about Whipple superchargers so you might try refining your search parameters. Not sure what's different about JDM's 700 kit vs. the 650 kit they offered for many years but I did just check it out and noticed that it still comes with 47 lb/hr fuel injectors vs. the 60 lb/hr injectors that Whipple's own Stage 2 kit comes with. The Whipple Stage 2 kit was developed for use in the Shelby Baja 700 Raptors (as in 700 horsepower) so it's the first kit to be sold claiming those power numbers. I am running a Whipple Stage 2 kit with additional modifications now pushing 575 at the rear wheels on a heavy beadlock/mud tire set up. I was hoping for a little bit more than that when I upgraded to the Gen 3 Whipple supercharger housing/rotors but given that I am running a pulley size larger than I was on my old setup I am pretty happy with it and I haven't found it worth pushing the engine any harder to go beyond where I'm at now. It's already a lot faster than it really should be. I'm currently focused more on getting the rest of the truck caught up (or at least closer) to the engine (big brakes, bigger shocks, bigger tires, etc.)

OP
OP
S

Stricken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are your additional mods? I'm mostly wondering if I can hit the 550 mark with just the Whipple and supporting mods.

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are your additional mods? I'm mostly wondering if I can hit the 550 mark with just the Whipple and supporting mods.
Whipple gen 3 stage 2 with 93 octain you will be right there at your 550 mark. trucks are heavy pigs and if you put on off road tires your just slowing yourself down even more. my tires weight 100lbs each thats crazy didn't weight the wheel but they are not carbon fiber so I am sure they weigh a lot also.

OP
OP
S

Stricken

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Oops. I didn't see your sig on my phone, but I see it on my PC now. That sheds some light on this for me.

Whipple gen 3 stage 2 with 93 octain you will be right there at your 550 mark. trucks are heavy pigs and if you put on off road tires your just slowing yourself down even more. my tires weight 100lbs each thats crazy didn't weight the wheel but they are not carbon fiber so I am sure they weigh a lot also.

I'm not looking to change tires or wheels.

Marcus85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get 500 at the wheels out of my N/A build. We shall see how she goes.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get 500 at the wheels out of my N/A build. We shall see how she goes.

What are you doing for an intake manifold? Are you using Livernois heads/cams or are you going custom? Stock displacement?

Marcus85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you doing for an intake manifold? Are you using Livernois heads/cams or are you going custom? Stock displacement?

Original plan was to go with Livernois but a guy I know know's some other people from an major manufacturer that may do a special build for both of our engines. Still in the planning stages.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Original plan was to go with Livernois but a guy I know know's some other people from an major manufacturer that may do a special build for both of our engines. Still in the planning stages.

Please let us know as your plan develops. I'm planning to run my truck as is for a while but a built motor is definitely in the works down the road. I was hoping to talk Callies into building me a custom ultra billet stroker crank.