GEN 1 Whipple Coolant Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

basile

Reaction score
Hey, ya'll I have 2014 with a Whipple on it and I've been having some major coolant problems lately. Just check my coolant take for the supercharger's intercooler the other day and realized it was empty. I filled it up and started my truck and every last bit of the coolant shot through the exhaust. Any idea what this issue could be? Could it be that the supercharger IC or gaskets are gone? I have no idea how long my supercharger has been running without coolant. It has sounded normal for the most part prior to this issue, thanks in advance.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Someone else just recently had a HE to IC coolant problem, turns out the IC had a crack and purchased a new one for $900
Hopefully yours is just that and not more involved.
And if it's just a crack and you have a chop that has a good TIG welder for aluminum, you save some $$$

OP
OP
B

basile

Reaction score
Someone else just recently had a HE to IC coolant problem, turns out the IC had a crack and purchased a new one for $900
Hopefully yours is just that and not more involved.
And if it's just a crack and you have a chop that has a good TIG welder for aluminum, you save some $$$
Hey, man thanks for the reply. Im, not the most mechanically inclined and I'm having a shop handle it. They seem to think it's the gaskets but from what I've read it's the IC. When I say all of the coolant shot through the exhaust I mean it lol. Hopefully, they just have to pull the sc and put in a new IC.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey, man thanks for the reply. Im, not the most mechanically inclined and I'm having a shop handle it. They seem to think it's the gaskets but from what I've read it's the IC. When I say all of the coolant shot through the exhaust I mean it lol. Hopefully, they just have to pull the sc and put in a new IC.
Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't this mean the coolant is entering with the air and through the cylinders? Does this terrify everyone else as much as it does me?

OP
OP
B

basile

Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't this mean the coolant is entering with the air and through the cylinders? Does this terrify everyone else as much as it does me?
Yeah I've got no idea. was up at the shop noticed there was no coolant. Filled it up and fired the truck up, all the coolant shot out. Does this sound like the IC or possibly another issue? Terrifying...

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I've got no idea. was up at the shop noticed there was no coolant. Filled it up and fired the truck up, all the coolant shot out. Does this sound like the IC or possibly another issue? Terrifying...
Sounds like IC to me, that's where the coolant could transfer into the air flow. Crack? Gasket? I don't know how you would know until you got in there.

To be clear, IC, not heat exchanger. Folks frequently mix them up.

OP
OP
B

basile

Reaction score
Sounds like IC to me, that's where the coolant could transfer into the air flow. Crack? Gasket? I don't know how you would know until you got in there.
Yeah really hoping nothing else is damaged also hoping the Whipple isn't trashed from running it with no coolant for god knows how long.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nothing would happen to the Whipple unit from running hot or getting wet, people run water/methanol through it.
But I would drain and replace the gear oil even though it's good for a 100,000 miles., since it will be off anyway.

Luckily you didn't hydro lock a cylinder, that would have been a big mess.
I guess the properties in the coolant prevented that from happening.

BTW, there isn't any gasket, the IC is a self contain unit with a inlet and out threaded nipple connection.
Taking the IC out of the intake manifold can be a pain.
And you'll probably need the O-ring/gasket set to put it all back together.
Intercooler.jpg

Orings.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

basile

Reaction score
Nothing would happen to the Whipple unit from running hot or getting wet, people run water/methanol through it.
But I would drain and replace the gear oil even though it's good 100,000 miles., since it will be off anyway.

Luckily you didn't hydro lock a cylinder, that would have been a big mess.
I guess the properties in the coolant prevented that from happening.

BTW, there isn't any gasket, the IC is a self contain unit with a inlet and out threaded nipple connection.
Taking the IC out of the intake manifold can be a pain.
And you'll probably need the O-ring/gasket set to put it all back together.
View attachment 322508

View attachment 322517
I really appreciate it, man. Sending this to the guys working on it now. They basically gave me the same rundown today. They said they got all the coolant out of the cylinders and they're taking the sc off tomorrow to have the IC repaired and they're ordering a gasket set.

HighHP

Reaction score
I have a Whipple SC with probably the same I/C as well. Please keep us posted on the problem and the fix.