Whip flag mount assistance needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Soper

Reaction score
Brand new Raptor owner, only 100 miles on it so far. Traded in my '14 fx4 with 6" lift. I do quite a bit of running in the desert but have not found the solution I need for mounting flag.

I have tonneau cover and carry a but of camping gear so leaving it open isn't an option.

Hate the idea of drilling into brand new truck.
Also don't want a hitch or hook mount.

Can anyone out there help, what I'd really like is a quick connect mount that I can install in the stake pocket. That way I don't have to worry about over flexing the whip and tapping the truck anywhere...

Was also considering an led pole so I could run the wiring into the stake pocket and keep it hidden

Any help greatly appreciated...

Last edited:

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brand new Raptor owner, only 100 miles on it so far. Traded in my '14 fx4 with 6" lift. I do quite a bit of running in the desert but have not found the solution I need for mounting flag.

I have tonneau cover and carry a but of camping gear so leaving it open isn't an option.

Hate the idea of drilling into brand new truck.
Also don't want a hitch or hook mount.

Can anyone out there help, what I'd really like is a quick connect mount that I can install in the stake pocket. That way I don't have to worry about over flexing the whip and tapping the truck anywhere...

Was also considering an led pole so I could run the wiring into the stake pocket and keep it hidden

Any help greatly appreciated...
i just shut mine in my tailgate. sits off on a slight angle, but it holds just fine. if you have to mount it in the front, then you will need a different solution though.

OP
OP
J

Joe Soper

Reaction score
No requirements here for flags so I can mount it anywhere. I do some duning in groups and have seen 1st hand why they are needed. I have been using a sticky whip suction set up, but have had to backtrack to retrieve it more times than I can count. I figured new truck, better setup, and I want to do it right and not a bodge job

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Stake pocket is a good idea if you can't go in the bed or don't want a hitch mount. The big thing will be keeping it still enough to not smack the truck during major fails :)

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't buy the cheaper 1/4 or 5/16" flag poles, get the 3/8's and larger if you can, they don't whip as much. I've got every flap pole made in my garage (not really), I always pulled the taillight out and ran a nut and bolt through the factory hole in the rear post side and used an ell shaped pole holder designed for a dirt bike. But I didn't run my tonneau cover when I was jumping dunes, it's hard on those covers. For 5 minutes work, I would take it off, if it's a bak-flip.

OP
OP
J

Joe Soper

Reaction score
Don't buy the cheaper 1/4 or 5/16" flag poles, get the 3/8's and larger if you can, they don't whip as much. I've got every flap pole made in my garage (not really), I always pulled the taillight out and ran a nut and bolt through the factory hole in the rear post side and used an ell shaped pole holder designed for a dirt bike. But I didn't run my tonneau cover when I was jumping dunes, it's hard on those covers. For 5 minutes work, I would take it off, if it's a bak-flip.
Not planning much jumping, not right away anyhow... most of ours are technical drives and we always end up camping about 30 or 40 miles in so need to carry what we need in without it bouncing out or filling with sand. I never had an issue with our old Bakflip tonneau in 5 years.