Whining noise coming from something belt driven

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Five-O Donut Hole

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah that's it MixMaven....

That's what my 2012 has been sounding like first start in the morning with the below zero temps. Like a supercharger but goes away in about 10 seconds or so. Knock on wood but I have not had any problems with this truck in the almost 2 years of ownership.

X_TACOMA_GUY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2012 Scab started making the whining noise a few weeks ago. The noise on mine appears to be coming from the pass. side/front of the engine. It whines at about 1200 rpms on the tach, then goes away. It also comes and goes when in stop and go traffic as the motor speeds up and slows down during gear changes.
Its annoying.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford just replaced my idler pulley for the same reason

Turns out nothing's changed. Same sound at startup when cold.

Fords report said the pulley froze and destroyed the belt. Looks like it will be going back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BearClaw

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford replaced my idler pulley as well and this seemed to correct problem. Even though mine started with freezing temps and stopped after truck was warm and/or on road for awhile.

dfelicia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2013 Raptor started making a dry bearing sound when starting, especially in cold weather and the noise changes with engine speed. After looking at this thread, I thought I would post my video. I didn't think it was the power steering because it didn't change when turning but I guess I will need to have it looked at. It obviously will be warm when I show up at the dealer and won’t make the sound until it sits for about 4-5 hours.

2 min video, you can hear the sound when it starts up, I tap the accelerator pedal a few times and you can hear it stop near the end.

2013 raptor cold start noise - YouTube

Thanks!

Mine is doing this ^

So is it the idler pulley? Only way a tech would hear it would be to let the truck sit in the cold for a day. If I take it in, I want to be armed with some info so they don't waste my time (or theirs).

Since it goes away after warming up for a minute, is this repair even necessary? ie is the sound indicative of imminent failure?

My truck is only 6mos old with 10k miles. Seems premature to have stuff like this failing.

BearClaw

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had similar issue with noise - they replaced belt, PS unit and finally idler pulley. All over the last 2 months. I did have to leave truck overnight at dealer to convince it was idler pulley after everything else done.

dfelicia - I will say I was more concerned about idler pulley being an issue because if it locks up it will throw the belt and you won't be going anywhere. At least if its the PS unit, and it fails, you just get a forearm workout :)
Maybe record video on phone of noise and turning steering, tapping accelerator until it stops. Then bring to dealer and see what they say. Which dealer did you buy from?

Last edited:

Ramrodthrusterpuppy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2012 Scab started making the whining noise a few weeks ago. The noise on mine appears to be coming from the pass. side/front of the engine. It whines at about 1200 rpms on the tach, then goes away. It also comes and goes when in stop and go traffic as the motor speeds up and slows down during gear changes.
Its annoying.

Same here....been doing it all Winter with the colder than normal temps that we've had. It's an ungodly screeching!

Idler pulley, eh? Guess I'll try that with the dealer.

dfelicia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe record video on phone of noise and turning steering, tapping accelerator until it stops. Then bring to dealer and see what they say. Which dealer did you buy from?

Now that's a good idea. I bought from Hammonasset. I haven't been back since I took delivery, so no idea how good their service department is. Steven's is just down the street, but I had a bad experience with a sales manager there and will drive the extra 45 minutes to avoid doing business there... plus I doubt dealerships like doing warranty work for trucks not purchased there.

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brought my truck in for service and getting them to check the squeeling. Except its not cold here now so there's no chance they'll be finding it. I did mention idler.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not so sure it's the idler. They changed mine but it still does the same thing. I think it's more vacuum oriented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk