Whining noise coming from something belt driven

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I thought about it. Was gonna look into what it takes for a company to create a recall. Personally, the PS going out could be a huge safety issue. At Snoball it wasn't bad because I could keep it in first and gun it to either spin the ass end around or get the rpms up but back home it's dry pavement. I couldn't imagine it going out on a sharp turn.

My local dealer said that's weird, first one we've had to replace. I replied with I know a lot more raptor owners the you do. Lol

BearClaw

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My local dealer's service department acknowledge that I know more about Raptor issues than they do (due to FRF of course!) even though they are SVT certified. I will post up what info I get tomorrow.

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

BTW - it was really cool to watch you, Labraptor, Big Blue and others on MotionX map while you were at SnoBall. All while I was hitting the trails up in New Hampshire!

mixmaven

Reaction score
My 2013 Raptor started making a dry bearing sound when starting, especially in cold weather and the noise changes with engine speed. After looking at this thread, I thought I would post my video. I didn't think it was the power steering because it didn't change when turning but I guess I will need to have it looked at. It obviously will be warm when I show up at the dealer and won’t make the sound until it sits for about 4-5 hours.

2 min video, you can hear the sound when it starts up, I tap the accelerator pedal a few times and you can hear it stop near the end.

2013 raptor cold start noise - YouTube

Thanks!

BearClaw

FRF Addict
Reaction score
definitely sounds different than mine.

Not that changing the PS Unit helped. If anything it got worse. SO now they have changed the belt, cleaned the screen on the rack & pinon system, flushed the PS fluid and changed the PS Unit. So, I believe, its the idler control arm. The dealer feels that air is getting into the system somehow, but we shall see.

There happened to be an engineer from Ford there when I stopped in to schedule and was told that doing jumps with the truck and not removing your foot from the gas pedal, when you launch, can cause air to get into the PS system. Not relevant here since I have been avoiding hitting trails hard until this is resolved but good to know.

srs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same issue on mine. Replaced both idler pulleys and the tensioner pulley and it was fixed for good. I don't think the bearings are sealed and if water gets in there they are done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparky

Reaction score
update***so after 4th trip to stealership on this whining noise...1st trip it didn't make the noise in morning so 2nd trip they said was alternator and replaced, didn't fix problem..3rd trip didn't make noise...4th trip left it there 2 days in cold and mechanic finally heard it whine for 10 minutes, said it was idler pully, replacing today...crossing fingers

BearClaw

FRF Addict
Reaction score
update***so after 4th trip to stealership on this whining noise...1st trip it didn't make the noise in morning so 2nd trip they said was alternator and replaced, didn't fix problem..3rd trip didn't make noise...4th trip left it there 2 days in cold and mechanic finally heard it whine for 10 minutes, said it was idler pully, replacing today...crossing fingers

Good Luck! I have to leave mine there tonight so they can hear the noise when it is truly cold. Belt & PS unit have been replaced so we shall see.