Whining noise coming from something belt driven

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptor625

Reaction score
I left my 2012 Raptor outside for 3 days without starting it in around 10-15 degree weather and when I started it I could hear a whining noise coming from something belt drive (maybe the power steering or the alternator). The noise did not go away after I drove it for around 15 minutes. It made the noise for a couple of days and now it's around 35-40 degrees outside and it is whining less but it still is doing it. Has anyone else had this issue?

OP
OP
R

raptor625

Reaction score
Haha I wish it was the supercharger. How can I tell if it is the power steering? Also, would this noise go away and come back if that is the problem.

RatedSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine had a whine to it twice on a cold start when we had single digit weather. But mine went away after the engine warmed up.

Conejoracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2010 6.2 (57k miles) seems to have an intermittent alternator whine. The whine gets louder when the fans engage. It's not temperature sensitive, it does it no matter what the temperature is. I have an extended warranty, I guess I'll be taking it to the dealer when it gets a bit worse. I'd like to avoid the "nothin' wrong with it" that the service writers love to say.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've had his the past week with sub 30 temps. It his away once it gets warm. Anyone know if ford uses an auxiliary air pump on cold starts like vw/Audi does?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BearClaw

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've had his the past week with sub 30 temps. It his away once it gets warm. Anyone know if ford uses an auxiliary air pump on cold starts like vw/Audi does?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2012 with 23K miles has done this similarly on cold mornings recently. Dealer is clueless and I guess I should have read this post prior to going. They have ordered a new belt but now have some other suggestions. They love billing Ford for warranty work.