GEN 1 Whine sound from power steering. 2014 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMAC

Reaction score
HI,

New to the forum, 2014 Raptor 35k KM
I have what i think is a power steering issue.

I am in Bangkok Thailand and have the only Raptor over here so dealerships are not an option.

The truck started by making a whine under hard acceleration out of corners on the road, this then went to a whine when revving parked in neutral, the whine would get louder with higher revs and sync with the turning of the steering left to right getting louder and louder.

After reading other posts on the forum i have done the following.

Changed Idlers and fan belt
Changed power steering pump

After just changing the pump the issue is still exactly the same and i noticed the fluid went from a very clean red to a dirty cloudy red, which it was when i pulled the pump out.

As you can imagine parts for a Raptor don't exist in Thailand so i have to keep ordering from the USA and it all takes time and really frustrating when the issue is still there.

Does anyone have any idea where i should be looking next.

Thanks
Gavin

07Supra

Reaction score
I know this probably won't help but my Raptor's Power steering wines.. As does every Ford product that I've ever owned. 5.0 Mustang 5.4 Lightning 4.6 Cobra and the 6.2 Raptor. I always thought it was just a Ford thing. I'm used to it.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You should of flushed all your power steering fluid out and I know that it takes a long time to get all of the air out of the system, had mine worked on at RPG and it took them awhile to get it cleaned out and bled. I would start with a good flush of the system and take your time getting the air out.

Burgerman

Reaction score
Power steering is a known weak point of the Raptor. I would recommend looking at options that are better than OEM for replacement, since you'll continue to run into these same issues.

Kona754

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Power steering was a known issue on the Raptor. I took mine out and pushed the truck fairly hard and I was only out about 20min pushing the truck with alot of steering back and forth. I burned up power steering pump after one hard offroad session. Fluid cavitates and burns up the pump. Luckily the dealer replaced under warranty :) I know alot of guys upgrade the power steering to eliminate any future issues

Turbo95max

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went through 3 pumps on my 2013 Raptor. Ford warrantied it twice and the last time I did it myself. Did you flush the lines and bleed the system properly? I have seen people burn up a brand new pump by not bleeding the system properly

gtxracer

Reaction score
Sounds like the pump is on its way out. Ford uses ATF (yes, ATF) in their power steering systems. This is not good for the pump and steering hoses as the fluid will become hot and deteriorate. When this happens it separates and some "gunk" is left as a byproduct of that change. Basically, the ATF is BAD for your steering system and has to be changed often or you can swap to real PS fluid like someone else suggested.

I put in a new pump and pressure line after my pump failed. I was doing some spirited tight track driving just messing around and the pump didn't like the sloshing. Toasted the pump and later the line developed a pinhole. Yours might do the same. Replace the pump and main pressure line ($400ish in parts) and buy real synthetic PS fluid like BMW or Amsoil (what I used). It will be night and day difference.

tales_from_the_crimp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you check the fluid levels or change the fluid? Mine was making a loud whine a few months back also I checked the levels and it was low. Added some plus some Lucas oil and it cleared it up.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When changing the power steering pump the reservoir must be replaced at the same time. This is because the reservoir contains the power steering fluid filter. If you do not change the reservoir, the clogged filter will restrict the flow and cause the new pump to whine and fail. This is the reason we hear about so many repeat repairs in these systems. If metal is found in the system, the lines and rack must be flushed as well *before* installing the new pump.