While I Have the Dash Apart...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decided to knock out a couple quick easy projects this weekend including installing the BuiltRight dash mount in my '17 802a Screw. Incredibly easy install- pulled out the tray with the center speaker, drilled a couple holes and set the mount. Hardest part was mounting the Ram Mount 1" balls to the BuiltRight.

Before I reinstalled the tray with it's new mounts, I decided to fix an issue that's been driving me nuts and wire the usb charger for my phone up behind the dash to the center tray where the mount now is.

To do this, I ended up pulling the screen, radio, center dash panel, console dash panel, and left center dash panel... way more than I expected to get into on "quick easy project day." Wasn't a difficult job, but I probably would have laid off the craft beers if I thought I would be getting into pulling this many panels!

I drilled the holes and routed the cables (phone charger and a USB Hub to power anything I put on the BuiltRight in the future).

Figured I would ask you guys: while I have the dash apart, are there any other upgrades I should consider doing before I put it back together? I have been watching @BIGDJE and @Guy install the Pheonix Android screen and that may be an option in the future. Aside from that, what else could I consider?

Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 10.33.42 AM.png

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What did you use to power your usb cable?

This might be a good time to lay down your wiring for your disco ball. Nothing like bringing the party to your Raptor!

:)

OP
OP
Drifter

Drifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did you use to power your usb cable?

I’m running what is essentially a USB pass-through from the dash (in front of the BuiltRight mount) to the Sync USB outlets in the console (under the radio). Goal is to have usb power closer to the devices so cords aren’t running all over, to allow my phone to connect to Sync for Apple CarPlay, and to be able to close the door on that forward console department.

No clue if it’ll work but giving it a shot. The pass-through I’m using is below:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WWNZ18N/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The USB cables plug into your stock sync 3 brain via a mini usb cable.

You could, in theory, use a mini usb splitter make plugged into the sync, to two standard USB... run one up to your hub on the tray and then use a standard USB to mini usb female adapter and plug your stock ports back into that. I don’t think there is a technical reason why that wouldn’t work and everything would be unseen behind the dash. You just may not want to try to overload things by trying to charge 4 devices at once off of it.

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow...what a job! Looks like most of the major panels/pieces just clip in place. A good trim removal tool is all that's needed once a few fasteners are taken out, right? Any other hints? Planning on installing may radio gear soon so I may be in (nearly) the same place. Want clean routing for antenna and power lines. Gonna have 2m/70cm amateur, FRM/GMRS and CB by the time all is said and done. Maybe not all above the dash, but at least 2 of the 3 there, to keep as much in line-of-sight while driving as possible.

I know there's a few other treads on similar projects, I'll read up on 'em beforehand as well, just looking for any hints from your project.

Just out of curiosity, what's the big silver box directly behind the touchscreen area?

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow...what a job! Looks like most of the major panels/pieces just clip in place.

Back in the day (late 80's early 90's) when I was a car stereo installer, we used to call those things "JESUS CLIPS". because every time you pulled a dash apart, you would "pray to Jesus" that you didn't break the little sucker off.

Ah, the memories.

JBBankshot

Reaction score
I’m running what is essentially a USB pass-through from the dash (in front of the BuiltRight mount) to the Sync USB outlets in the console (under the radio). Goal is to have usb power closer to the devices so cords aren’t running all over, to allow my phone to connect to Sync for Apple CarPlay, and to be able to close the door on that forward console department.

No clue if it’ll work but giving it a shot. The pass-through I’m using is below:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WWNZ18N/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you figure out how to route the wiring down to the SYNC USB ports? I just installed mine but skipped the USB pass through because I was not able to figure out a reasonable routing option.

SO2018Raptor

Reaction score
I am trying to do something similar here...and am still struggling with getting power to a second Sync3 USB hub (that I am installing under a BuildRight Mount). Splitting the USB is easy, but adding a "new" power supply for the Sync3 USB Hub is where I am stuck. So looking for any update on this thread/project....that I can apply to my project. thx!