Which to choose? A Replacement/Upgrade guide to Fog Lights for your Gen 3 Raptor…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Specialtyperformanceparts

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Can anyone share details on the Rigid Radiance Scene lights? I absolutely love the amber backlighting but I fear the actual light output of the main LEDS is poorly focused. Is this a flood/scene style light? Or a driving/spot combo? Their advertisement is pretty vague.

I'm definitely upgrading these fogs. Does anyone have a good comparison or reason to select Rigid, Diode Dynamics, or Baja Designs? I really like the 2x 2x1 mini fog lamps for their looks, but am likely leaning towards 3x 2x2 style lights for the additional output.

Thanks!

Yes. We actually just did a video. Now before you watch this video, you REALLY need to understand that this is ONE single light. Not a pair. Not 3 pairs in which case you would have in the Raptor. That means in both cases with the standard Radiance or Scene, you would be 6X brighter than what you see in this video.
So this video isnt a comparison of how much light YOU will get. It is a comparison of the difference between the Radiance and Scene and the pattern throw.

The Scenes are 2970 lumens each. The 3000 lumen range is pretty standard with most offroad lights from Rigid, Baja Sports, Etc. Pretty standard Range. Though there may be differences in patterns.
The Standard Radiance are 900 lumens each. 1/3 that of the Scene. They are more of a budget point. But with 6 of them and 6,000 lumens (close to) They would be effectively similar output to ONE PAIR of Scenes. Make sense?

Here is the compare-

Now, this video is a bit older, but with a Raptor where we put 3 Radiance on one side and 3 Scenes on the other.

In my opinion, they Radiance and Scenes both provide a great coverage. It extends out wide and pretty far. I am not concerned with Spot, Flood, Driving Patterns as these cover just about all the areas you need and can truly be a headlight substitute and then some.
So if you like the effect of the amber backlight, they are a great choice. The standard Radiance are much more cost effective, and the Scenes offer the most light for those that want it.

John

OP
OP

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Do you have any info (such as lumens) on the Ford OEM lights? I'm trying to decide between all of the options and it'd be helpful to have a starting point.

...I used to have the Rigid Dually D2 Driving beam pattern on my last pickup, and they were awesome!

On this, depending on when you got your last set of lights. The D2 lights up to 2016/17 produced 30% LESS light than they currently do in the D-Series Pro at 3168 lumens now. In that, you may be MUCH BRIGHTER with the Scenes than you ever had been in any application you've personally had.

As far as the SAE lights. The specs you just pulled were on Rigids new SAE Pro. The previous D-Series SAE that was just replaced by that, and the SAE LED's Rigid produces for Ford use the OLD Model LED's. That Full Size D-Series SAE was part # 504813 and it produced 1752 lumens each. The New model that you had specs for above essentially doubled the lumen count.

Since the D-Series is 2 SR-M models, or vice versa, an SR-M model is a D-Series cut in half. That would tell you by the math that the Ford SR-M models with the old SAE LEDs is 1/2 of 1752 lumens. So about 876 lumens each.
From there, they also had the beam angle in the lens changed and focused into that small rectangle you've seen to maximize the brightness in that area, but at a sacrifice to actual coverage.

Hope this helps some more!

John

Turning Blue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone share details on the Rigid Radiance Scene lights? I absolutely love the amber backlighting but I fear the actual light output of the main LEDS is poorly focused. Is this a flood/scene style light? Or a driving/spot combo? Their advertisement is pretty vague.

I'm definitely upgrading these fogs. Does anyone have a good comparison or reason to select Rigid, Diode Dynamics, or Baja Designs? I really like the 2x 2x1 mini fog lamps for their looks, but am likely leaning towards 3x 2x2 style lights for the additional output.

Thanks!
I have four Radiance Scene lights, and two Radiance lights on my 22. I took the photos during the day, and you can see the differences.

I attached the Radiance lights to the fog light switch on the headlight switch. The scenes are attached to the #1 upfitter. I'm not sure how the Radiance lights compare with the oem fogs as far as raw lumens are concerned, but I think they're brighter than oem, while still not being too bright for street use.

I bought them from SVP, including their wiring harnesses.

Attachments

• 20221202_155016.jpg
    20221202_155016.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 20221202_154816.jpg
    20221202_154816.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have four Radiance Scene lights, and two Radiance lights on my 22. I took the photos during the day, and you can see the differences.

I attached the Radiance lights to the fog light switch on the headlight switch. The scenes are attached to the #1 upfitter. I'm not sure how the Radiance lights compare with the oem fogs as far as raw lumens are concerned, but I think they're brighter than oem, while still not being too bright for street use.

Thanks for the support!

Yeah, the lumens are probably close to ONE pair of the OEM SRM lights at 900 each on the general numbers, but where the SAE ones Ford uses are focused to a tiny area, they are still spread out. So definitely more useful.
That leads to another point, which is aside from lumen count, what makes an SAE street legal?

There are several things that need done to make a light SAE or DOT compliant. Aside from paying fees to agencies, one big feature is that they can't have OPEN spots/ Clear Spots to direct exposed LED's. These are considered "Hot Spots". Sort of like when you look up in the sky on a summer day. If you look directly at the sun, even for a minute (Don't attempt this purposely btw), then when you look away, you see spots because of the more than normal amount of light your eyes were just exposed to. The same thing happens when you look at bright lights at night. Aside from the damage it can do to your retinas looking direct at a bright light (or the sun) for a long period. It shrinks your pupils quickly to block out some light. Then when you look away, your pupils are small and can't handle the lower light.

You can notice that SAE lights generally have wavy or diffused glass. This is because it breaks up hot spots. Sot of like looking at the sun behind a bunch of clouds.

John

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I did the exact same setup w/ my fogs...except I connected the Radiance pair to aux 1.

OP
OP

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Reading up on what I should order for my truck. Thank you for condensing so much great info in one place!
Please don't hesitate to reach out to me if I can help with anything at all!

I am happy to run through options with you and answer any questions you may have. You can call or text me at the number below. It's my direct line.

I hope to get the opportunity to assist you with your lighting!

Thanks!
-Sidney @ SPV Parts
(317) 934-6778