Which tire to buy? Toyo mt or nitto mt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramrodthrusterpuppy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Toyo Open Country MT and love them. When I was shopping for tires, I was leaning towards an AT tread as I didn't want the noise, rough ride and accelerated tread wear that MTs typically have. I've always had BFG Ats on many trucks and they've always served me well but they don't make the BFG AT in a true 35/12.50/17 size and a buddy recommended the Toyos.

I decided, against my better judgement, to give them a shot and I'm really glad that I did. The Toyos are *slightly* noiser than the OEM BFGs, ride slightly rougher, but look really aggressive. And they perform very well in the dirt....almost unstoppable. Unless you're in gumbo mud I can't imagine riding on a more aggressive MT tire which would suck on road (which, let's face it, is where we spend most of our time driving). And the Toyos seem to be wearing fairly well too...for a MT.

On a wheel with some negative offset, they look killer, IMO.

img3695800x600.jpg

HIGHDESERT

Reaction score
Toyo MT's are the best mud terrains period. Wear and road noise is night and day from other MT's that i have tried. I am on my 2nd set.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
For clarification, are you referring to Nitto Mud Grapploers or Nitto Trail Grappler M/Ts?

I have had the Toyo M/Ts on my truck and am currently running Nitto Trail Grapplers. The Toyos were very nice and quiet, great offroad, and wore pretty well. I had some suspension issues which Nissan couldn't fix that ruined my tire life, but most people I hear of get between 40K-50K miles out of them.

I now have the Nittos because I wanted to try something else and they were about $300 less than another set of Toyos. They are louder (not by much) but they seem to be wearing excellent so far with almost 10,000 miles on them and almost no evidence of wear.

If I had to do it again, I don't really know which one I'd pick. Both are agressive, both wear well, both are quiet, and they're about the same in weight. The only drawback to either one is the weight. You can't go wrong with either one. I'd pick the Toyos as being slightly better, but you do pay a premium for them.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
richiee23

richiee23

Reaction score
thank you guys for your help. i think im going to go with the toyos. I have to decide between 18 or 20 now and which wheels i want. Do you guys think i will tell a big power loss with 35 inch toyo s and fuel hostage wheels or fuel octanes?:ROFLJest:

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those toyos are pretty meaty. You will probably feel some but not a whole lot.

OP
OP
richiee23

richiee23

Reaction score
i thinking of going with the 20 fuel hostage wheels or octanes. i know they weight about 38 lbs and toyo s are 80.5.

stock 97.5 total for 4 is 390 lbs

aftermarket setup 118 is 472 lbs

difference of 82 lbs

Is 82 lbs gonna make that big of a differnence in performance?

thanx

richie

Ramrodthrusterpuppy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not just about a 82 lb difference in static weight....it's all about rotational mass which is amplified when the wheels are spinning. In short, yes you will notice especially in fuel consumption. My Toyo/ProComp combo costs me about 1.5 MPG over OEM. I'm sure that braking is worse as well but I'm willing to make the trade off.