GEN 2 Which plug should I go with Sp 550 or Sp578?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grayson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set of these (-1 because i dropped one) when I say they are cold natured, I couldn't get the vehicle to crank even with adjusting the gap. This was on a 3.0 Ecoboost which is a nightmare compared the the ease of a 3.5L IMO

K-Doob

Reaction score
SP542s are the best OEM plug, especially if running a tune. Unfortunately they can be difficult to find these days. Last set I had to piece together from local auto stores and ebay sellers.

digscruze

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the 542’s were rebranded and are now under a new part number M-12405-35T. There’s a previous thread about that.

Otherwise they’re pretty common to find. SPD Performance and MPT are some of the few that carry them. At the time of this writing, they’re running a sale on them now for under $50 for the set of 6.

costnsg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am planning to change plugs on my 2017 Raptor with 95,000 miles. Manual indicates change after 100,000, so I'm about there. Unfortunately, the proper plug is a little confusing. My truck is stock, btw.

My manual supplement shows proper plug is SP-534. Online searching for ford parts and the local Ford dealer says SP594. My online searchs indicate the SP594 is a replacement for SP542 and SP578. So, is SP594 the proper plug? I haven't found SP594 mentioned on this forum.

Online and in this forum I have found advice to use 133 in-lbs to torque the plugs. I didn't find a torque value for the bolt holding the coil.

Anti-sieze is another variable, but after reading lots of back and forth about whether to use it, I am leaning toward not using. I expect the torque values are based on no lube. Lubed fasteners will definitely develop more bolt stress with the same torque versus dry, so I expect the same principles apply to a spark plug (probably screws into head a little further with lube vs without).

So, looking for confirmation to use SP594 plugs torqued to 133 in-lbs without anti-sieze. I'd also be interested in torque values for the small coil fasteners if someone has that, otherwise I'll try to be careful with them (not too tight).

sobiloff

Reaction score
So, looking for confirmation to use SP594 plugs torqued to 133 in-lbs without anti-sieze. I'd also be interested in torque values for the small coil fasteners if someone has that, otherwise I'll try to be careful with them (not too tight).

I'm installing the SP-594 plugs on my '17 and can confirm the shop manual specifies 133 lb in and makes no mention of anti-seize. The coil-on-plug retainers (bolts) are tightened in two stages: first to 62 lb in, and then an additional 50°.

EagleRaptor

Reaction score
I replaced the factory plugs at 70k with sp550, the engine ran much smoother. There are a lot of different part numbers that seem to change on a regular basis for this motors spark plugs.

I think they call for sp594 now, but I have had good luck with sp550.

brianh87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the 594's on my stock Raptor. That's what the old plugs superseded to according to the research I did. And 133 in-lbs is straight from the service manual.