Which one would you buy?

Which would you buy?

• 2013 with 105,000 miles for $33k

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • 2013 with 51,000 miles for $43k

Votes: 14 77.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sunder

Reaction score
I have 2 somewhat different options being presented to me:

2013 with 105,000 miles for $33k
(I should probably expect to spend some cash on maintenance for this one.)

2013 with 51,000 miles for $43k

Both are otherwise identical.

I will put on about 6k miles per year as a daily driver. I plan to keep it 4-6 years or so.

It is hard to justify paying $10k more for essentially the same vehicle. Essentially, am I banking the extra $10k for easier & better resale when I go to get something else. How well will these Raptors still hold value when it is 10+ years old?

Or will the one with (effectively 135,000 miles when I am done) really, really depreciate in value?

Which would you choose and why? Thank you SO much for your valuable insight!

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have 2 somewhat different options being presented to me:

2013 with 105,000 miles for $33k
(I should probably expect to spend some cash on maintenance for this one.)

2013 with 51,000 miles for $43k

Both are otherwise identical.

I will put on about 6k miles per year as a daily driver. I plan to keep it 4-6 years or so.

It is hard to justify paying $10k more for essentially the same vehicle. Essentially, am I banking the extra $10k for easier & better resale when I go to get something else. How well will these Raptors still hold value when it is 10+ years old?

Or will the one with (effectively 135,000 miles when I am done) really, really depreciate in value?

Which would you choose and why? Thank you SO much for your valuable insight!

I'd go for the lower mileage truck and negotiate them down a bit more. For a 2013, you're buying a low mileage truck and with your driving patterns, it'll be an even lower mileage truck when you're done with it in 4-6 years. Additionally, you'll be trading it in years later with less than 100K miles on it which will be more beneficial to your resale when done.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm with Nick, I'd go for the lower mileage one, all other things being equal, and assuming they are both street queens.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
lower mileage; fewer maintenance expenses, probably fewer repairs. Never mind resale, but over 100k, stuff starts to really show wear. suspension is nearing the serviceability end of life (not hard parts like control arms), but bushings and bearings could start to rear their ugly heads, accessories begin to exhibit less reliability.

brc misfit

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are both trucks located in the snow belt.?. Hwy. only miles on both trucks.?. Check the service records on both. Leaning towards the low miles.

adeerchaser

ALWAYS carry, never tell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same as all ^^^^^^^^^. Go for the lower mileage. Also, think of the less hassle and down time if you do not have to work on it as much.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If money is no object (or even if it's marginal), definitely go for the lower miles.

Personally, I do 99% of my own repairs/maintenance, and it made sense to go with the lower monthly payments. After one year costs haven't offset expenses, even including fuel, I'm happy with the truck and will be even after it's paid off. Had I gone for something more expensive it would likely be a really nice shiny driveway ornament that I wouldn't be able to take out nearly as often.

dd07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t, you’re probably right.”
-Henry Ford.

OP
OP
S

Sunder

Reaction score
Thank you so much for all your insight and wisdom!
It is not that money is no object, but a $10k difference can go toward a lot of repairs and still be ahead. The lower payments obviously would help too.

But many of you bring up a point that the lower miles one would have fewer repairs. Right now I have a 2001 Dakota Truck with 201k miles and before that I had a 1999 Grand Prix that had 295k on it when I got rid of it. I don't do my own repairs, but the higher mile vehicles (if maintained properly) hold up well.

My job situation has recently changed dramatically that I will only put on those 6k miles per year instead of 30+k miles per year. So 105k doesn't scare me.