Which fuse to use with "add a fuse"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OnesJMU

Reaction score
Hey fellas:

I'm trying to hard wire my dash cam and radar detector into the fuse box with the "add a fuse" system. Does anybody know which fuse/fuses (number) to use with the "add a fuse"?

Thanks

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OnesJMU,
Not an easy answer!
Do you want continuous power? That way the Dash cam can record while you are not around your truck. On the other hand.....
Be careful about leaving your radar detector on. The third winter I had my 2013 I went to Florida with a friend leaving my truck at my brothers for two weeks. I returned to find myself locked out with the battery dead in 20 degree weather and 6" of snow and ice built up on my truck....the culprit...I had left my Valentine 1 on...
Look in your owners manual for circuits that are not affected by the ignition ...computer, ignition hot wire, radio memory, etc. Or pop your fuse box lid and test the circuits with the ignition off....
If you only want them powered when the ignition is off the options will be much more as the majority of electrical circuits are cut off when the ignition key is off. Again pop the fuse box and look for circuits that are off with the ignition in the off position...
Google is your friend; as is the RED search tab at the top of the page...
Good luck,

Eddie

ps There's plenty of unused space in your fuse box...

Last edited:

Chas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
add a fuse

I connected mine to the fuse panel in the passenger side kick panel. Saw a good how to video on youtube. Runs only when ignition is on .FYI it isn't as easy as the video shows so have a lot of patience if you go that route.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
17 and 18 do have some differences in fuse panels, just an FYI...

On my 2017, Fuse 36 is Key-On power. Fuse 29 is not used, and supposed to be constant hot, but it may shut off after an extended period of time (at least that's what i've found on a few ocassions :disgust:).

653D1EE7-E203-47B0-8465-0AAE5819BA8C_zpsisamfkaf.jpg

Have some more pictures here:
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f266/how-hardwire-fusetap-52895/

OP
OP
O

OnesJMU

Reaction score
I connected mine to the fuse panel in the passenger side kick panel. Saw a good how to video on youtube. Runs only when ignition is on .FYI it isn't as easy as the video shows so have a lot of patience if you go that route.

Chas: I have my wired into the fuse box too, but I was never able to find a fuse that turns on and off with the ignition (so mines is constant on). Do you know which fused you used? Also, do you have a '18 or '17? I have a '18 and think there's some small differences in the two.

OP
OP
O

OnesJMU

Reaction score
OnesJMU,
Not an easy answer!
Do you want continuous power? That way the Dash cam can record while you are not around your truck. On the other hand.....
Be careful about leaving your radar detector on. The third winter I had my 2013 I went to Florida with a friend leaving my truck at my brothers for two weeks. I returned to find myself locked out with the battery dead in 20 degree weather and 6" of snow and ice built up on my truck....the culprit...I had left my Valentine 1 on...
Look in your owners manual for circuits that are not affected by the ignition ...computer, ignition hot wire, radio memory, etc. Or pop your fuse box lid and test the circuits with the ignition off....
If you only want them powered when the ignition is off the options will be much more as the majority of electrical circuits are cut off when the ignition key is off. Again pop the fuse box and look for circuits that are off with the ignition in the off position...
Google is your friend; as is the RED search tab at the top of the page...
Good luck,

Eddie

ps There's plenty of unused space in your fuse box...

I want a power source that turns on and off with the ignition. I've tested all the "spare" fuses and found that all of them are constant on. I have a '18, do you know any fuses that come on/off with the ignition?

Chas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines a 17 but I don't remember which fuse it was.I can pull the kick panel cover and check to see which one it is get back to you Saturday.

grumble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want a power source that turns on and off with the ignition. I've tested all the "spare" fuses and found that all of them are constant on. I have a '18, do you know any fuses that come on/off with the ignition?

on a 2018, fuse 36 is on/off with ignition. Depending upon how much power you need, you may want to use it as a trigger for a relay rather than using it for direct power.

OP
OP
O

OnesJMU

Reaction score
on a 2018, fuse 36 is on/off with ignition. Depending upon how much power you need, you may want to use it as a trigger for a relay rather than using it for direct power.

Grumble:

Thank you for this. I couldn't find a on/off in the 2018. Is that a spare/acc fuse or does it go with another truck electrical component?

Again, thanks