Which cutout is best?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marcsc1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
honestly... they all suck. I went dougs because it was the simplest and readily available. so its been on a month or so and its been working thus far. then again I might use it once a week.

They all suck because they all break? Any dislikes with the doug's so far?
Did you put it before of after the resonator?

R@pt0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Doug's and love it. Sounds great open and I can close it for those few times when I don't want it so loud, like leaving after a traffic stop. Only had it a couple weeks and no problems so far. I got the Doug's y pipe and it is high quality with great exhaust clamps.

Goofball

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They all suck because they all break? Any dislikes with the doug's so far?
Did you put it before of after the resonator?

well I say that because it seems no matter what brand after a year or so they all have failures. that's just reading threads here on the forum. no major dislikes thus far and mounted it I guess where the resonator would go. I also have the corsa extreme exhaust. kinda best of both worlds I suppose. when im alone I can let her roar but if I need to be "classy" I still can lol

mkelly984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had it on my truck for 2 years and haven't had any issues with it.

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think it depend on where you live. If you live in an area where there is road salts used it will probably quit working and get destroyed

Sigmoid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I initially decided on Doug's, but when I got ready to get them on, because of their geometry, there just wasn't enough room to put them where I wanted them to go (installing on a Bassini y-pipe). The Doug's looked solid but were not completely stainless. I could see how the heat might warp them and make them stick but I'm just guessing since they never got put on and are they're still sitting in the box. I went with QTP which are fully stainless and a little more compact...they have worked great. I don't have to deal with any salt issues so I can't speak about that.

The one complaint I have about them is the cheap-ass wiring connector at the cutout. If you get these, the first thing you need to do is cut them off and splice in two-pole, flat, trailer connectors.....WAYYY better.

Someone also asked about horsepower gain, cutout vs. no cutout. I have not dynoed mine with the cutouts closed (although it would be interesting to know). I have a TT setup and the difference between closed and open is a good 2 lbs difference. In other words, if I set it up to run at 10 lbs of boost with them closed, the boost will jump to 12 lbs with them open. That's 20% more boost by doing nothing more than running the exhaust about as close to dumping at the headers as you can get.

Closed, it runs through a standard Roush cat-back (of course I have no cats), and it sounds good but reasonably docile. With the cutouts open...It's ridiculously loud. It makes the ground shake when you're in it...and literally scares people when you go past them on the interstate.