Where should I set my wallet on next as far as upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dunnjames18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this thread has been posted before and not under the right section as I could not determine where to put it.. Anyway I purchased my 2012 scab earlier this year end of May to be exact. As far as upgrades I decided to go with the k&n drop in filter as I still wanted an enclosed box to keep the dust out and the thought of a reusable filter. I then did the mid perch mod .I upgraded the interior lights to LEDs, not a performance mod but definently brightens the cab up. Then I wanted a little more light for the trails so I added some tuff stuff hood a pillar lights and brackets, cheap but definently throw some light out. I decided to do havoc 3 and did not have the money at the time to do bump stops after the trip and some hard hits I pulled the trigger on some icon bump stops special thanks to rsi works @Iron Man and his great customer service. I then added a 52 in curved light bar and some windshield mounts the brackets did not fit as they were generic and need a ton of tweaking cutting and welding to fit, I wanted this setup because was not comfortable doing the night runs at havoc with just Dullies and stock head lights. I recently purchased icons pss cooler and reservoir after hearing horror stories of our ps pumps so wanted something to make sure it lasts longer. Again thanks to rsi works @IRONMAN. I talked to mikes 5* tuning and they hooked me up with their programmer and 93 per tune 93 daily and 87 daily hopefully the ps cooler and tuner will arrive this week. Now I'm at a crossroads everything for these trucks are not cheap so I'm taking the steps necessary to eventually get to where I want it to be but have to realize it might take a while to get it to that point. So now I'm asking the helpful members here who may be in my shoes and the steps they took, do I go for the icon leafs for one day adding their rxt setup, or is it the steering knuckles, or is it tie rods and uca? You will definently see me at more events next year have my eyes set on Trr and snowball so I'm looking at the suspension aspect in trying to make for a solid enjoyable truck for these events. The stock suspension is great and I do not have the money right now for 3.0s I wish I did because I could definently tell the stock shocks fade about lap 2 at havoc was very bouncy and didn't settle due to the fluid getting hot. Anyway sorry for the long thread just want your thoughts and what direction you would head if you were in my shoes :ROFLJest:

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tilt! Overload

In PA I'd be looking for linex in the fender wells and protective coating your shocks for corrosion.

Last edited:

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like you've already spent some money so Maybe focus on the low cost high return mods. The truck will do way more than you might expect with what you've got.

D

Deleted member 12951

Sounds like you are going with an ICON build by what you already purchased. If it was me and short on mod cash, I would get the ICON leafs next. Then save your pennies to get some front 3.0's and the rear RXT when you can. You will notice a difference with the new leafs.

The gussets knuckles will help if cornering hard and it gets rough so depending how you drive you should be able to hold off on that. UCA are nice but really doesn't help you with any major increase in travel, more for looks. The ICON won't work with stock wheels but not sure what you have. The stock tie rods can be beefed up but some have reported steering rack issues if you tend to over drive your truck as that becomes the next weak component.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
dunnjames18

dunnjames18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys so i will be setting my eyes on the icon springs then as a next upgrade. Thanks for the input

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

And is there anything out on the market as for the steering rack other than getting a ps cooler and reservoir?