when to do a trans flush if ever

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my transmisson was just rebuilt is there a certain time frame when a trans flush is a good idea? or should it never be flushed? being that its brand new, what mileage would you consider it not to be a good idea? my old trans lasted 165k miles until my internal seperator broke and mixed trans fluid and radiator fluid. the trans was replaced in 2018 but over the last few years had several issues with it and ford finally ended up rebuilding it a couple months ago. now with a new motor going in, im hoping to have this last many more miles, so i need expert input from the peanut gallery.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Never flush the transmission; only the torque converter and cooler/lines should be flushed, and that’s only if there was a transmission failure. All you need to do is drop the pan and replace the filter and fluid at the specified intervals.

OP
OP
The Car Stereo Company

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never flush the transmission; only the torque converter and cooler/lines should be flushed, and that’s only if there was a transmission failure. All you need to do is drop the pan and replace the filter and fluid at the specified intervals.
thanks you. i always respect your responses. and i always look for them. merry christmas

Terry32579

Reaction score
I bought a used 2018 Navgator and had the transmission filter replaced, front and rear differintal oil changed at 30k miles as I had no clue how it was driven. The also told me to not flush the transmission. Love the raptor engine!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I bought a used 2018 Navgator and had the transmission filter replaced, front and rear differintal oil changed at 30k miles as I had no clue how it was driven. The also told me to not flush the transmission. Love the raptor engine!
Navigator is a beautiful truck! Any chance it was used for Livery? That is always a hard use case. Please, introduce yourself to the forum in the new members section! We'd love to see some pics of your rig.

WNCHSTR96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been getting my 2012 transmission serviced (fluid exchanged) at Ford every 60k or less with the exception of the 1st service. I’m at 226k now and plan on taking it in before it’s next interval. I find it odd you recommend a pan drop. My first service was a pan drop followed by a tow to the dealership for a tear down of my valve body. I’ve been very satisfied with the fluid service since. I’m I an abnormality?

LuckyKnuckle36

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Exactly, never flush the transmission, just replace the filter and fluids

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve been getting my 2012 transmission serviced (fluid exchanged) at Ford every 60k or less with the exception of the 1st service. I’m at 226k now and plan on taking it in before it’s next interval. I find it odd you recommend a pan drop. My first service was a pan drop followed by a tow to the dealership for a tear down of my valve body. I’ve been very satisfied with the fluid service since. I’m I an abnormality?
Nope, I do the fluid exchange as well.
I know my service tech and have full confidence he does it the right way.
I do agree if you don't follow the book and don't do the full trans service,
I wouldn't recommend someone to start doing it at 100K