Wheel size question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Velo C

Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum (first post) and Raptor ownership! I've had the truck about a month an loving it. Picked up a 2014 Gen 1 with Roush stage 2 s/c and 60k miles on it. I've got a question about wheel size and actual off-roading. The below picture is the wheel and tire combo that came on the truck, Would not have been my first choice, but I don't hate them and with the tires being rather new, I'll wear those out before I make any changes in that department. I have had this tire on a previous truck and liked the tire itself. My question is about the wheels and twofold:

1) does anybody know much about this brand (Black Rhino) and this wheel in particular? While it looks the part, I'm curious if it's truly off-road worthy.

2) Is there any issue running this larger wheel (20") vs. say a 17" and more tire? It seems a smaller wheel and more tire volume would be better in the rough stuff, but I don't know if there's any real truth behind that.

I live in Texas and plan on having some fun in this thing, going to some "local" parks and well as a few Colorado trips each year.

Raptor Black Rhino Wheel rear.jpg

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you definitely lose some offroad capability with a larger rim. if those tires are 35in then you have lost 3in of tire (1.5in all the way around) . airing down will put the rim closer to the ground so the bumps, rocks, and ruts will jar the truck more. as well as not being able to air down as much. depending on what you are doing can damage a rim easier. as far as the rim, i couldnt tell you about their quality. maybe @Pacific Wheel could answer that.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would not run that style of wheel on a raptor. They already tend to overheat brakes and by running a solid face wheel like that you are essentially cutting all the airflow from them. And as Nosbusa already mentioned you don't want to loose sidewall. Not to mention they are heavy, 35lbs a piece is a chunk and you are going to pay for that in acceleration, braking, fuel economy and suspension performance.

They look good and all, but if you ever push the truck you will regret them.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
@The Car Stereo Company is right about sidewall height and the ability to air down.

As for the wheel, they are very heavy but I doubt one will ever brake lol. There are better wheels for performance. I know they list them at 35lbs (for 17's) but I bet they're rounding down. Probably closer to 40lbs. But if you need a quote let me know.