Wheel Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Holmes- "Where are your hands, Watson?"

Watson- "Between 2 pillows"

Holmes- "Those aren't pillows!!!":clap:

DJ BFG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok Frogman, your right it isn't exactly a Baja racing truck like the pre-runners they run or the actual trucks that they race in the Baja races. hence the reason it is street legal I presume right? I do agree with getting "Better" (per say tires) for mudding because the tires that come on the Raptor aren't the best for mudding. There is nothing wrong with that, although i did state "then why did you buy a desert racing truck". That is because this truck is supposed to emulate a desert racing truck, that is the whole selling point put together by Ford's SVT (special vehicle team) isn't it? everyone knows that it isn't really a desert racing truck because then it just wouldn't be street legal then would it? But you do know your facts Frogman And believe me i really do appreceiate your knowlege!!!!! keep up the good work man! the only thing "I" don't understant is why bigger wheels and tires other than that is what people like. if that is the case then i stand by what i stated before, "I understand that everyone has their favorite looks in mind and for that I say go for what makes you feel great about your truck".

Thank you though for filling us all in on the fact that: "it is a "STOCK" f150 with some nice factory supported upgrades". now we can all rest in peace good night everyone whew now i can sleep. LMAO

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry if it came accross a little asholy... just a little annoyed with the whole it is a Baja race truck and if you deviate from the design in any way then it is sacrilege and you should have bought a Skoda and built that up... That crap got shoveled constantly on the other board...

If, like I said, you bought the truck simply because it was the most capable offroader that anyone makes in an f150, I do not see why you need to justify to anyone else why you need a leveling kit that will give you a little more ground clearence or let you run 37s...

If you bought it because you think it looks badass and that adding 24s will make it look more badass... well I disagree but hey... you go girl...

If you bought and throw a supercharger kit that kills offroad mode on it... hey it is your money...

If you are bagging on someone because they are making their truck a little less capable in one area and more capable in another... then I think you are missing the point of customisation...

No disrespect meant and I hope no offense taken.

Holla

OP
OP
RIKU

RIKU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing to add is that it doesnt take very long to put the stock wheels and tires back on the truck.

In regards to the level kit from Truxx, 4wheelparts said it is not irreversable and that they could remove it.

DJ BFG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not offended what so ever, Ford did build the truck to look like their truck that they entered in the "races". and i am tired of everyone trying to say that it is an ordinary F-150 when it isn't. But you are right it is a VERY capable off road truck and that is why "I" bought it Frogman. fuch everyone else and their reasons as long as everyone is happy that is all that matters. so have fun with you "Trucks" all and I will have fun with mine!!!!!!!!!!! :-}

OP
OP
RIKU

RIKU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:
It's been a while sorry for not updating you guys. I took my truck to get the tires and wheels put on and at the same time had them re do all my fluids to royal purple, Truxx kit and a mag hytec cover. This was at 2500 miles about. My truck woke up, I think it was due to an oil change, am I crazy? It's either that or the guys at 4wheel parts really broke it in for me hard over a 6 hour period.

Wheels/Tire Combo + Rear Diff Cover + Royal Purple + Truxx Level Kit:

- lost .1 mpg moving to 20" ( not bad at all )
- No rubbing for me at all
- Truck woke up I dont know why
- Truck felt more planted on the ground
- Ride was a bit more firm but not by much
- I could hear the wheels rolling a little bit

I only swapped back to the stock tires once and only for several days. I just want my 20's on all the time! The looks and people coming up to check it out has increased a lot with the Fuel/MT combo. Best part is no one has called me a poser yet. Weird how I don't get that to my face but I get it all the time on the web with the mention 20".

I took the 20's off roading and they work well! but man the ride is harsh at about 50+ on bumpy wash. But for basic off roading to get to camp sites, shooting, etc.. it works just fine. In the soft sand it felt slower I think thats due to mud tires. I do feel like i get more traction with the M/T's doing small rock crawling. I really like the M/T's a lot even if It's not a mud truck.

Since then I have added:

- Exhaust ( Flowmaster 44 installed I have SLP muffler sitting in the garage (requires Y pipe) but if I get Cams or Heads I will change to Borla or Bassani)
- Volant CAI (hard to hear the enhanced sound below 3500 rpm with such a loud exhaust) If you floor it you feel/hear it in the motor area.
- Enhanced skid plate (Line X'd it)
- Painted bumpers, fender flares, front grill
- smoked out all lights except head lights

Still work in progress...

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds great Chris and I know it looks great too.

What's the weight difference between the 20's and the stock 17's? And what's the wheel/tire weight compared to stock? I suspect it's sizable and that extra unsprung weight will make a diference in suspension performance. Of course you're running good tires so you shouldn't notice a difference regarding traction but adding unsprung weight is the enemy of suspension performance. It's the reason people on car and truck forums are concerned about wheel and tire weights.

Post some more pics of your Raptor. It's always fun looking at it.

Here's the only one I have taken when we met up before heading to the track

IMG_2797.jpg

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Holmes- "Where are your hands, Watson?"

Watson- "Between 2 pillows"

Holmes- "Those aren't pillows!!!":clap:

The Sherlock Holmes people ripped that off from a different move. It was done years before (1987) in a movie called, "Planes Trains & Automobiles" (John Candy & Steve Martin)...

[waking up after sharing the same bed on the motel]
Neal: Del... Why did you kiss my ear?
Del: Why are you holding my hand?
Neal: [frowns] Where's your other hand?
Del: Between two pillows...
Neal: Those aren't pillows!