Wheel Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RIKU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow I'm ordering new dress shoes for my Raptor, 20" wheels on Toyo Open Country M/T Tires.

Should I go 20x9 or 20x10 ?

At the same time 4wheelparts will be installing the Truxx leveling kit. That should make it 2.5 - 3" higher.

Any suggestions or comments?

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RIKU, my only question would be why 20" wheels? The 17" wheels with tall, pliable sidewall tires is an integral part of the Raptors suspension and handling characteristics and contribute largely to its offroad prowess. Now, if you are mainly using it for on road use and you like the look of the 20" ers, then more power to you.

just curious

FSM

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
x2 FMS's question.

I know you called 'em "dress shoes", so you're probably planning these to be for on road use? If so, maybe consider a less expensive (and and less off road capable) tire? There are several options out there with a killer aggressive look but with better manners on road.

On the other hand, I can see the draw of 20"ers with those tires on a Raptor. That thing is going to look SICK, especially with the leveling kit.

If it were me, and I'm going after looks, I go 20x10. If you're gonna go for it, go big :)

Keep us posted on your progress!

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Quick response due to limited time (sorry):

1. Why modify your vehicle so quickly with products that profoundly affect it? The leveling kit has been shown to have issues (rubbing springs!) while visually leveling the truck (somewhat).

2. Is leveling the truck really that important to you that you'll deal with rubbing springs trying to "fix" something that ain't broke?

3. Do you realize you're adding unsprung weight by increasing the size of your wheels? Do you realize that unsprung weight is the enemy of every vehicle especially a purpose-built truck like the Raptor that is designed for high-speed offroading?

4. Are you willing to accept the performance hit your truck will take on and offroad by adding unsprung weight just to make your Raptor look (A) better and (B) different?

You don't need to answer the questions - I just thought I'd pop a response back quickly as I have limited time now.

I'm sure you'll be happy with these mods and I truly hope you are. I'm sure the truck will look good (to you especially which is what matters most). And for that I am happy.

Enjoy!

OP
OP
RIKU

RIKU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To put it clear and simple because I want it that way.

I understand all your points and agree with them. I have a shop right down the road that will swap them out for 50 bucks when im too lazy to do it.

Always have the stock setup to fall back on.

My question to you guy's is do you think I will have any problems with 20x10. I'm pretty sure 20x9 fits well, I'm just wondering about 20x10.

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I doubt it will be the wheels you have a problem with regardless of rim width. The problem will more than likely be the width of the tire...if there is a problem at all.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I understand all your points and agree with them. I have a shop right down the road that will swap them out for 50 bucks when im too lazy to do it.

Always have the stock setup to fall back on.

My question to you guy's is do you think I will have any problems with 20x10. I'm pretty sure 20x9 fits well, I'm just wondering about 20x10.

So are you going to keep your stock wheels and tires? If you're going to sell them I'd be interested.

How are you dealing with the TPMS on the new wheels?

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I would go with the 20x9 for the weight issue. The bigger wheels and tires are really going to hamper acceleration of the truck. I only put heavier tires on my truck and I can feel a big difference. If you do get the leveling kit done you should know that you cannot reverse it and you should put limiting straps on to avoid the upper arm rubbing with the spring at full droop. Have fun and take pics to show us after you have done the mods.

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Then that my friend, is all that matters. Some do not realize the effects of change, and understand, in no way was I trying to criticize your question or ideas. Just trying to provide "food for thought".

I agree that if 20" is what you want, go with the 20x9's my .02

And PLEASE..........pics when you are done!!!!!

FSM

OP
OP
RIKU

RIKU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I placed my order today for 20 x 10 Fuel Hostage wheels on Toyo M/T's.

Added the Truxx leveling Kit & a Mag Hytec Diff Cover.

I will for sure take pic's of the truck when done.

I had the option of moving the TPMS from the stock to the new wheels but decided just to get new ones.

A couple of questions guys. What is the approx weight difference between 20x9 vs 20x10. I'm told 20x10 is just an inch in width and will provide a more aggressive look. I was also told with the leveling kit I shouldn't have problems rubbing. I have a day or two to adjust my order to 20x9 instead of 20x10. Any suggestions?

Also in regards to those straps, never heard of those before. Can someone get into more detail about that? When will I notice upper arm rubbing?

Thanks for the support gents, I posted the question elsewhere and got some dumb responses like if you dont buy 17" you should sell your raptor.

In the end my idea was to have running shoes and dress shoes and swap them out when need be. Anyone foresee issues with my logic?