Wheel carnage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crazy it’s a perfect triangle-shaped hole. My guess is large thread file haha! Literally no telling what it was, I’ve seen all kinds of shit on the highway; 16’ extension ladder, CO2 cartridge that punctured a work truck tire, a broom (evidence that my exwife had a driving accident there lol), etc.

Don S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the tire was undamaged, my guess would be that something got between the inner rim and brake caliber, punching a hole in the rim. I would look for a scar on the caliper or A frame. Double check the shock.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cross posted this from Suspension forum

Well, this picture kind of changes my path on what I will be doing next...I was driving to work the day before yesterday in fog and fairly heavy traffic. I hit something that I didn't even see in the road and my drivers side front tire immediately went flat. I pulled over to the shoulder on an almost blind curve since I had no choice and got off as far to the right as I dared before going into a 3 foot ditch. Since I wasn't far from home and I have never had the spare off and knew that I wasn't getting it out from under the bed very easily, I called my wife to come and get me. Did I mention it was 34 degrees out and the roads were a little wet and traffic was getting heavy? Hazards on and wife pulls up and we head home. I grabbed the best of my four OEM wheels/tires and the floor jack and headed back to the truck. My ass was about 6 inches from the white line for the shoulder and like a NASCAR pit crew I got to work swapping the flatted tire. There is absolutely no damage to the tire which I found extremely strange. I put the tire up in my wife's QX56 with the inner wheel exposed and saw the damage! WTF did I run over that punctured my rim so perfectly? Almost looks like a 5.56 projectile went through it! Nothing rolling around inside the tire at all. No other damage to anything else on the truck. Lucky that the rim didn't explode after that. Needless to say I will be putting all four of the OEM's back on when I get new tires. I have been driving legally since I was 15, so 42 years of driving and I have never seen anything like this. Comments on the carnage and speculations on the "planet alignment" that caused this are solicited and appreciated.View attachment 162160

You can clearly see the point of impact in the center of that mess. Poked through the wheel at that. It was something thin and heavy. Maybe a piece of rebar as mentioned. Otherwise you caught the corner or something very dense.

Glad you made it through ok health and truck wise.

OP
OP
RaptorVA

RaptorVA

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments everyone. No issues with anything else on the truck. I checked underneath, in the wheel well, all the suspension and all is good. Almost like I didn't run anything over at all. I was able to pull over right away so I didn't even run on it that long after it happened. I saw what appeared to be some kind of scaffolding laying on the left side of that road today as I was driving home from work today. It was new debris but just reminds me to be ever vigilant. Be safe out there folks...but still have fun when you can

fordfreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the tire was undamaged, my guess would be that something got between the inner rim and brake caliber, punching a hole in the rim. I would look for a scar on the caliper or A frame. Double check the shock.
This would be my guess. Front tire flipped it up and it got wedged between the brake caliper and the wheel. I've seen rocks do this on utv wheels and recently saw it on a SUV wheel where I work.

OP
OP
RaptorVA

RaptorVA

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok folks I am back on the stock wheels and also had my stock shocks rebuilt as well. I decided to go with Yokohama Geolander X-AT tires in 35/12.5/17. So far in my 10 miles of driving today I like them. They have a similar tread design as the Ridge Grapplers that I have on my 20" street wheels. I always re-torque the lugs when I get back home and I am always disappointed in shops and how inconsistent they are with torqueing the lug nuts and also airing up the tires. All over the place but all is good now. I am adding pics of the tires in case folks want to get a looks at them
20210226_155305.jpg 20210226_155319.jpg 20210226_173049.jpg