What's up with Gen 2 prices recently?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Personally, I’m not one who has to always be right... clearly you’re different, but I respect that.

So the very first sentence of the article you linked says it all “...the Raptor depreciates at a significantly lower rate.” Did the author get that wrong too? Should it have said Raptors don’t depreciate at all? I don’t think so. I agree that Raptors depreciate lower than any other truck in America, but they do depreciate. Here’s a post I made awhile back comparing depreciation values against other brands.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/2019-depreciation.73151/page-2#post-1428675

But all in all, your original comment that Raptors have not lost any value is simply incorrect.

I’ll will stroke your ego for a second and say that you’re correct in that a dealer can potentially list a 2019 for same price it originally listed it for a year ago. But I’ll challenge you to go sell your Raptor privately, or better yet, go trade it in. Your opinion that Raptors don’t lose any value will change pretty darn quickly. Remember - your vehicles value is only what someone is willing to buy it for - not the selling price value at a stealership.

Lastly, your opinion that I got a bad deal is simply that, your opinion. I think I got a great deal when I bought it... I paid well under MSRP. Could I have picked up more money had I sold it privately, you bet, but never the same money for what I paid for the truck.

whatever is going on with the used vehicle market is absolutely nuts.

yesterday I was offered 73K for my F-250.

I have less than that into it, have owned it for 2 years and it has 35K miles on it.

a friend of mine hasn't been able to find a new f250 near him in utah. yesterday he bought a 2017 f250 with 30K on it for 7K MORE than I paid for my 2019 NEW. ( sticker prices were 850 dollars different.)

If I could find a 20 with the 10 speed and my same options, I'd sell my f250 for 73K in a heartbeat, but alas I have not been able to and I also am not super keen on having to wait 16+ weeks for a carli kit.

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 19 in March of last year, prices were elevated then, maybe not as bad as now. Anyway, the truck was on the lot and had everything I wanted but CF and that wasn't a deal breaker. The dealer wanted $7000 over sticker and I laughed at the sales person and said "why in the hell would I do that?" She had the nerve to tell me they were getting that much in CA (I live in Utah). I just laughed again and hung up. Just kind of forgot about it. Lo and behold, 4 days later, she called and offered me the truck for $5000 UNDER the sticker price. I had to laugh again, I told her call me back when it hits $7000 under. Figured I wouldn't hear from them again (didn't care). Well, 2 more days later, they call again and offer me $6000 under. I bought it. Truck stickered for $71,000 and change.

Similar story for me in Aug of 19. Almost identical progression, including the offer to purchase a couple of weeks ago. Cold dead hands... I love the truck.

KDAWG97M3

Reaction score
I just sold my raptor to a dealer for 67k, fully loaded 2018 9k miles Paid 64k for it two years ago, figured why not, drive to for,two years, and make 3k? I am ok, maybe I should have held out longer....I had it listed for a few months at 68k, the truth is, dealers have a leg up due to financing options. I figured I’ll look for a higher mileage one and put cash in the bank...... did I mess up? he is probably going to ask 73 for it...I wasn’t getting any action at 68k...truthfully..would love to know if I blew it...I figured at 68,69,70k people could buy a 19 or 20....

KDAWG97M3

Reaction score
Similar story for me in Aug of 19. Almost identical progression, including the offer to purchase a couple of weeks ago. Cold dead hands... I love the truck.
Exactly. I think these people put crazy prices up to see what people will do. What they sell for are a different story. Really regretting selling mine. But....I did come out on top

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just sold my raptor to a dealer for 67k, fully loaded 2018 9k miles Paid 64k for it two years ago, figured why not, drive to for,two years, and make 3k? I am ok, maybe I should have held out longer....I had it listed for a few months at 68k, the truth is, dealers have a leg up due to financing options. I figured I’ll look for a higher mileage one and put cash in the bank...... did I mess up? he is probably going to ask 73 for it...I wasn’t getting any action at 68k...truthfully..would love to know if I blew it...I figured at 68,69,70k people could buy a 19 or 20....
I think you did damn good if you made $3k on the deal. And I might just have to eat my words... maybe the Raptor market is crazier than I thought.

KDAWG97M3

Reaction score
I think you did damn good if you made $3k on the deal. And I might just have to eat my words... maybe the Raptor market is crazier than I thought.
I thought so too, but I do think I shorted
Myself about 2500-3000. I’ll make it up on the next one.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, Autotrader is bringing crazy money right now. I have 30k miles on my truck now, and with the potential to bring 10k more than I paid for it early last year is tempting. Then what would I drive, LOL

They will drop once Ford catches up and this chip shortage is put to bed.

GetTiTGood

Reaction score

Where are you located? I can guarantee you if that truck is in Cali, they're going to put it at A MINIMUM of 79.9k.
If you have 802a w/CF interior upgrade & moonroof it's more like 85-90k. And, whats more...if it was a Lightning Blue or whatever the name for the Blue paint code of the '18 they're going to try to get as close to 100k as they can.
The market here in SoCali is absolutely bonkers...came [--] <--this close (whoa,, that is close baby. Lol) to almost giving them 84k for an '18 with just about 33k miles but...thank God, they wanted MORE, didn't accept our offer...we ended up going with the one i liked more from the get-go; better color, wheel tire combo etc. It had higher mileage which doesn't bother me & was quite a bit less. They also had a 2019 w/aftermarket cab & just over 9k miles, they wanted i think 109-119k? So about 120-130+ out the door.
I'm just dreading the day this bubble is going to finally let loose and the economy busting like its '20zerO9.