What's the Best way to break in a new Truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hocker52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amen brother! 80 to 90 mph is really not pulling that many RPM in overdrive anyway! Just tell the trooper you are following your tried and true break-in routine & he will enjoy looking over your new Raptor so much he will forget why he was going to write you a ticket. (or just tell them you are the ADD guy on a mission!)

I actually had a trooper do that didnt even write me a warning

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here is what I will be doing:
Pick up oil and filter from the dealer as I pick up my truck.
Then take the long way home driving normal after the engine is at normal operating temperatures on back roads, no WOT.
After getting home change the oil and filter with the engine hot.
Next three-four hundred miles avoid steady highway speeds, occasional WOT, avoid heavy loads.
Change oil and filter after about 500miles.
Next 500miles drive normal.
Note: it is heavy loading of the engine I try to avoid, not the RPM.
After 1K miles change to fully synthetic oil.

SSA Raptor

Reaction score
Breaking in the engine?

I pick up my Raptor today or tomorrow! Just wondering if I should know anything about breaking in the engine?

Last edited:

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I always after 500 miles on all of my vehicles change the oil. In my case always use Amsoil. After a couple of thousand change the other fluids to Amsoil. On the Raptor I waited longer for the tranny because the new larger/finned pan was not released yet.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh right forgot to add, definitely change your oil a couple of times in the first few thousand miles. Get all the new engine particles out of there.

Wheela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes that is the way to break in a raptor, also like this
had it for 2 weeks when I did this lol had 250 miles on the od and 100 of it was to drive to Chillicothe Mo to do that lol
2837-2012-04-28-17-15-06-375.jpg

Last edited:

dfelicia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do I really wait for 1,000 miles before towing?

Took delivery of my truck on Friday and had every intention of pulling my boat to the lake for this coming weekend... then I read in the owner's manual that I am supposed to wait until I hit 1,000 miles. What gives? I thought these trucks had no break-in period?