What's the Best way to break in a new Truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBONE21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New engines

I was wondering, when we get our trucks new, are the engines run and broken in some before they are installed into the truck or are they assembled then put in the truck and truck shipped to dealer?

I have always wondered if these motors need breaking in or not.

Thanks for the replies!

SVT Bob18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering, when we get our trucks new, are the engines run and broken in some before they are installed into the truck or are they assembled then put in the truck and truck shipped to dealer?

I have always wondered if these motors need breaking in or not.

Thanks for the replies!

I asked my dealer the very same question. His response was, no. He said that, years ago, engines did have to go through a break in period. But today, it is not necessary.
I'm driving over 800 miles to get mine home and if I had to stay under 55 mph, I would either fall asleep from bordum or just flat out, lose my mind.

TBONE21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have always thought all engines needed time for the rings to seed in. If they assemble the engine and don't test them or nothing then maybe it's imperative to do some heat cycles maybe to get it broken in. Heck I dunno. All the manual says is not to tow til u have 500 miles on it. I figure all motors need to break in in some form or fashion.

SVT Bob18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have always thought all engines needed time for the rings to seed in. If they assemble the engine and don't test them or nothing then maybe it's imperative to do some heat cycles maybe to get it broken in. Heck I dunno. All the manual says is not to tow til u have 500 miles on it. I figure all motors need to break in in some form or fashion.

Search "Break in Period". There's a lot of good reading there. In a nutshell, there really isn't a "break in" period, except for no towing within the first 1,000 miles.

Dv8tor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I lit the tires up leaving the dealership when I got mine. I was laughing my ass off. The employees at the dealership all had the "o" face going on. **** it. It's under warrantee even if you roll off the lot. ;)