What's it worth? 14' Screw w/ 47k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So JMIB99...couple things that a shop or the dealer won't know about.....the basics between a '12 and a '14 are that Ford did some minor strengthening of the rear frame, and the '14 would have a better Sync system. My truck is a '12 too FYI...

I just did an update on my Sync, both for the system itself and the Nav system. You have to buy CD's to do it. On a '14, you can use your laptop and do it via wifi.

The rear frame issue can be handled with a bump stop kit from either SVC or RPG, which you might want to install anyway on your own. Those kits run about $1800 all said and done. Also, the truck is due for shock rebuild or replacement. Here's a link to the Fox website where they lay out the maintenance schedule for the shocks....

https://www.ridefox.com/service.php?m=truck

The shocks don't last unlimited miles like on cars. A new set of OEM replacements are going to run about $1600, upgrading to 3" shocks is going to be over $5000.

As far as the transmission shift issue, it's a dealer recall and no cost to you. While it's in there, have them make sure that the "fuse 27 relocation" has been done. Long story short, the original fuel pump relay fuse was too small and has a tendency to cook and take the terminal with it. They relocated the fuse to a bigger slot in the panel (number 70), thus fixing the problem...the fuse box is in the front of the engine bay right on top of the radiator, left side. If the fix has been done it will look like this.....

DjzjLOR.jpg

The now empty slot is where it was, the big one on the bottom is the new fuse and they put that little sticker in there too.

Those are the biggest things to know about. The photos of that '12 are nice, no scrapes or caked up mud. No visible body damage around the bed/cab area, rockers look good..truck is really clean. It's worth what they want for it, and the Gen1 trucks aren't that easy to come by. There were only 13K '12's made.

All of this stuff applies to all of the Gen1 trucks. You'd be looking at shocks and bump kits and fuse 27 relocation no matter what year you end up buying. Performance wise, there is no real world difference between any of these trucks.

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So JMIB99...couple things that a shop or the dealer won't know about.....the basics between a '12 and a '14 are that Ford did some minor strengthening of the rear frame, and the '14 would have a better Sync system. My truck is a '12 too FYI...

I just did an update on my Sync, both for the system itself and the Nav system. You have to buy CD's to do it. On a '14, you can use your laptop and do it via wifi.

The rear frame issue can be handled with a bump stop kit from either SVC or RPG, which you might want to install anyway on your own. Those kits run about $1800 all said and done. Also, the truck is due for shock rebuild or replacement. Here's a link to the Fox website where they lay out the maintenance schedule for the shocks....

https://www.ridefox.com/service.php?m=truck

The shocks don't last unlimited miles like on cars. A new set of OEM replacements are going to run about $1600, upgrading to 3" shocks is going to be over $5000.

As far as the transmission shift issue, it's a dealer recall and no cost to you. While it's in there, have them make sure that the "fuse 27 relocation" has been done. Long story short, the original fuel pump relay fuse was too small and has a tendency to cook and take the terminal with it. They relocated the fuse to a bigger slot in the panel (number 70), thus fixing the problem...the fuse box is in the front of the engine bay right on top of the radiator, left side. If the fix has been done it will look like this.....

DjzjLOR.jpg

The now empty slot is where it was, the big one on the bottom is the new fuse and they put that little sticker in there too.

Those are the biggest things to know about. The photos of that '12 are nice, no scrapes or caked up mud. No visible body damage around the bed/cab area, rockers look good..truck is really clean. It's worth what they want for it, and the Gen1 trucks aren't that easy to come by. There were only 13K '12's made.

All of this stuff applies to all of the Gen1 trucks. You'd be looking at shocks and bump kits and fuse 27 relocation no matter what year you end up buying. Performance wise, there is no real world difference between any of these trucks.

Couldn’t agree more, a concise run down. If you can I would recommend going for a ‘14 due to the frame, electronics, etc.

I’ve already got spare shocks I bought out for a rebuild (Texas Shock Works). That, tires and brakes were all mine were in need of after nearly 100k mi. Other than that I did have to replace a few bulbs that died. :head3: