GEN 1 What's been done, what should be next?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ctp2336

Reaction score
I just bought a 2014 Gen 1, and then went back to Iraq, where I work 9 months a year as a contractor. I just loved the way it looked, so I bought it. Low miles and a good price, mint condition.

What I know:
1) It's sitting on 37"s- I don't know if it was leveled or a small lift was put on it. I always thought the stock 35"s were the best for the truck, and after Ford testing, that's what they picked. The 37's don't rub at all- lock out to lock out.
2) The exhaust is deep, and I assumed it was just from the Corsa exhaust. As I was packing the truck for a trip, I found a bag from Kooks Headers and Exhaust that said "Raptor Extension Kit" and a digital tool that says "SCT Flash.com"

I sit overseas for 3 months at a time and get 30 days at home. I usually get bored and buy guns and truck parts online over here. Looking at doing more upgrades- possible Whipple SC and whatever else I might find on the interwebs.

Considering upgrading the suspension, but don't know if I should go back to 35"s in the process.

It sounds like I'm just throwing away money, I know. But I can't leave anything alone, and I just finished replacing every moving part (including taking out the 3.9 and putting in a 2016 4.6l motor) into a 20yr old Land Rover Defender-and after paying $30 per lug nut, upgrades on this truck seem like a bargain.

Any input and what has (likely) been done or recommendations on where to go from here?

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a big item, but a Pop n' Lock for the tailgate to keep it from being stolen. A tailgate theft on a Ford takes about 30 seconds, and it's over a $1,000 to replace it.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2014 Gen 1, and then went back to Iraq, where I work 9 months a year as a contractor. I just loved the way it looked, so I bought it. Low miles and a good price, mint condition.

What I know:
1) It's sitting on 37"s- I don't know if it was leveled or a small lift was put on it. I always thought the stock 35"s were the best for the truck, and after Ford testing, that's what they picked. The 37's don't rub at all- lock out to lock out.
2) The exhaust is deep, and I assumed it was just from the Corsa exhaust. As I was packing the truck for a trip, I found a bag from Kooks Headers and Exhaust that said "Raptor Extension Kit" and a digital tool that says "SCT Flash.com"

I sit overseas for 3 months at a time and get 30 days at home. I usually get bored and buy guns and truck parts online over here. Looking at doing more upgrades- possible Whipple SC and whatever else I might find on the interwebs.

Considering upgrading the suspension, but don't know if I should go back to 35"s in the process.

It sounds like I'm just throwing away money, I know. But I can't leave anything alone, and I just finished replacing every moving part (including taking out the 3.9 and putting in a 2016 4.6l motor) into a 20yr old Land Rover Defender-and after paying $30 per lug nut, upgrades on this truck seem like a bargain.

Any input and what has (likely) been done or recommendations on where to go from here?

Congrats on the new project, tons of info here and ways to mod it. Sounds to me like the previous owner moved the front shock perch (the stock Foxes have three spring preload settings, comes stock on the lowest, "mid perch" is a common mod to level the front and firm it up, top perch should clear most 37's (probably not nominal 37's without hammering pinch welds) until offroading it hard and fully cyling the suspension) and added a tune/long tube headers/exhaust to offset the gearing/weight. SCT tuners and the various tunes you can get with them are very common, 5-Star, SVC, etc. They may or may not have done any other mods, post some pics and someone here can definitely tell you (like cold air intake, aftermarket suspension components, etc.). Likewise any questions you have along the way there's always someone here that knows. Recommendations...depends on what you want to do with it, got something in mind?

How's the sandbox?

OP
OP
C

ctp2336

Reaction score
Thanks. That's exactly the info I was looking for. Good news on the "perch". There's a good chance I'll go to 35s.

I'll have my wife take some pictures of under the hood and the suspension.

As for the sandbox, I'm actually in the very urban city of Erbil- officially Iraq, but unofficially "Kurdistan". I'm an "advisor" for a SWAT team and bomb squad in the city. Honestly, it's the best job in the world. The Kurds are completely different from Iraqis, and they legitimately love Americans. I have free reign of the city and make my own schedule. It's just me, an interpreter, some angry Kurds and a truck full of guns and demo.

It's hard being away from the family, but I could run for mayor of this place. lol

Also, no real idea what I'll be doing with the truck. The wife's family lives out in south AZ, so I hope to actually get it to the desert.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. That's exactly the info I was looking for. Good news on the "perch". There's a good chance I'll go to 35s.

I'll have my wife take some pictures of under the hood and the suspension.

As for the sandbox, I'm actually in the very urban city of Erbil- officially Iraq, but unofficially "Kurdistan". I'm an "advisor" for a SWAT team and bomb squad in the city. Honestly, it's the best job in the world. The Kurds are completely different from Iraqis, and they legitimately love Americans. I have free reign of the city and make my own schedule. It's just me, an interpreter, some angry Kurds and a truck full of guns and demo.

It's hard being away from the family, but I could run for mayor of this place. lol

Also, no real idea what I'll be doing with the truck. The wife's family lives out in south AZ, so I hope to actually get it to the desert.

LOL!! "Nothing like a drive in the country with some large caliber weapons."-Sicario 2
00102294-800.jpg

At least it's a short stint at a time.

There's ups and downs on tire size, 35's definitely have the advantage in cost, weight (usually), speedo calibration (the tune may or may not have corrected for that), and stock front suspension travel (you can still rub 35's if you really try). The desert southwest is ideal for Raptors, it would be great if you got it out there. Pics when you get a chance and we can tell you what's visibly already done. They are surprisingly capable off the showroom floor and don't need much until you start to push the envelope; in your line of work you know well the basics; first aid kit, fire extinguisher, comms, shovel/traction boards, PDW, bug spray and sunscreen, etc. Also Raptors have a few idiosyncrasies you'll come across sooner or later (search "fuse 27" and "lead frame" and speaking of lug nuts, the stock ones are junk). But there's endless possibilities and nothing else like them. Stay safe.