What would you do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Neither choice is a black, so they are irrelevant.

#BlackRaptorsMatter

:)

here’s a thought. does the closer dealer have a solid / reputable service shop or put another way, is there any stand out or disreputable service department close by? Sometimes you get perks from the dealer for buying, and some are actually worth it, but sometimes you can wrangle a loaner for unexpected downtime, or invoke the ubiquitous ‘customer goodwill’ assistance perk.

Whether you do your own routine work or not, if your local shop is better, more reputable or has better hours, it might be worth looking harder at the locally sourced truck.

as to the graphics, I had a hard time finding a truck without them which had the options I wanted. Complicating that was I bought during the “ADM era” of Raptor buying, so finding an MSRP deal was more of a challenge. I don’t know what the current searching is like now, but my observation was the 802As seemed to have a disproportionate representation of graphics added.

I would negotiate. I’d offer 1k off the Avalanche, get an out the door quote before wasting any travel time. I’d offer 500 off msrp on the local truck, with an out the door quote to avoid any kind of surprises. If neither negotiate, you’ve had time to consider if you really want the avalanche as opposed to the white truck. If neither comes off their prices, reevaluate. if you really want either one, make the decision and do it.

My preference would be the 2nd one.

OP
OP
Dr.Duct_Mossburg

Dr.Duct_Mossburg

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies... A few things to comment on.

Regarding travel comments. I use to travel all over the country for cars. I'm in one of the wealthiest places in the country and deals are hard to find here. However, As I get deeper and deeper into my professional life... That time spent traveling begins to be not so worth it. I loved the road trip aspect to it or even flying and shipping, however with a family and busy work life I just don't have the time to do so.

Regarding dealerships. My other local dealer to the north side of me is +$5-10k over MSRP. However, a good friend of mine is a mechanic there and has been for 10+years. I have a slight relationship with some of the service guys as I've taken almost all of my car's there for inspections. They're generally cool stuff that these guys don't see on the regular. I'm one of those guys that don't care if they take my car out and drive it. I get satisfaction allowing others to share experiences with me (see below).

Regarding Pricing:

So today... I had to travel past the one at the avalanche dealership. I decided to go big or go home. I went to the dealer and met with one of the lower end managers... likely a lead salesperson or something of that nature. The experience was a lot different when I was there. They're a very high volume dealer. They had close to 20 Raptors in inventory and 5 GT350R's in the showroom. The showroom had to be over 20,000 sqft as they had probably 60 cars inside.

I made it very simple for them. $1000 off and throw on the foldable cover... or $1500 off the truck. I took out a certified check and handed it to the guy and told him to give it to his manager when he presented the offer for it. The bank made the check good for $78k and I told him to pay close attention to the additional money in the check. That I, in fact, had it made out to be larger so that I could leave his dealership and buy the 2018 local to me tomorrow morning when I got home.

He came back and said no dice. $500 is the best the GM would do. He expressed that he was just as disappointed as me as my deal was as about as cut and dry as they come. I think the GM figured I loved the Avalanche so I wouldn't walk away. So... I got up and walked away. Told him I wished him the best of luck. I didn't get 10 minutes down the road before they called and said they would do $1500 off MSRP. I told them to get the paperwork ready and 45 minutes later I had the keys to the truck.

I needed to handle some work stuff so I left the truck there but there was a porter there that really liked the truck. They told me to drive him to the gas station and he would fill it up (they didn't want anyone to drive the truck out of respect for me). When we got outside I tossed the porter the keys and told him to drive for our first voyage. In fact, later tonight I picked the truck up and one of my mentors was with me and I let him drive the truck back to our hotel. I just drove it for the first time with about 55 miles on it.

So that being said... I am officially in a Raptor. Let the mods begin.

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Option 1: Avalanche (first color choice) loaded with all options I want, brand new on the lot. Willing to come $500 off of MSRP. I've had to go through 3 salespeople to finally get a callback. This dealer is about 3.5 hours from me, however, I will be in the area of the dealer tomorrow but I would still have to take a train back down to the area to get one of my vehicles (or take the train). The truck has a May build date so it's damn near a year old though it has no miles. The dealer knows that they're probably the only one in the country with a new avalanche on the lot.... or at least the chances of me finding another are very slim to none.

Option 2: Oxford white. MSRP. 15 minutes from my house. All of the same options. The sales guy was personable and offered to come pick me up so I didn't have to arrange transportation home.

Both of these trucks have the graphics packages which I'm not a fan of. So part of me says if I'm not getting an avalanche to put in the time to find one without graphics.

What do you do?
Get the truck you want. Period. Don't settle for second choice in color or anything else for that matter. These aren't that rare.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

ThugHunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Outside your house in the FBI Surveillance Van

Did you even read the post above you?

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

Get the truck you want. Period. Don't settle for second choice in color or anything else for that matter. These aren't that rare.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Pay attention!

OP
OP
Dr.Duct_Mossburg

Dr.Duct_Mossburg

Reaction score
HERETIC!

Burn him.

(and take his Raptor).

Funny story: It's a work provided vehicle. I was embarrassed to drive it at first but now I am a believer. This is my 3rd one. $22 to fill it up, 460-480 miles out of the tank. Oil changes every 15,000 miles. Just replaced the first two tires at 70k miles along with the trans fluid. In 100k miles I have less than $1500 of total cost (including fuel) in the vehicle. It rides nice, has a seamless trans and has a ton of room in it. For the everyday American, it's a fantastic investment. I love the thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTRaptor20