What would you do? Raptor vs Wrangler 392

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tractorman

Reaction score
I'm surprised at how many have posted in this thread that they own a Raptor and a Wrangler. I'm also in that camp with a 2013 Rubicon (with an Edelbrock supercharger) and a 2019 Raptor. Since I bought the Raptor, the Rubicon mostly sits in the garage. If the Rubicon were a 392, I'd drive it more I am sure. We use the Jeep when we want to enjoy it with the half doors and no top, and it gets used for 100% of the rougher and tighter trails. And I enjoy using it to run around town as it is so easy to park. But if I could only have one or the other, I'd have to take the Raptor and buy an old beater Jeep for trails.

I've taken the Jeep on long drives and I don't mind the way it drives, but make no mistake, you have to drive it, especially if it is windy.

As a financial decision, as others have mentioned, if you buy the 392 back of MSRP you probably won't lose much on it in a year or two if you decide to go with the Raptor when it arrives. But keep in mind that this supply chain shortage of special vehicles (Z06, 392 Jeep, Raptor) will not go on forever. We are in a bubble of sorts. Eventually, things will get right side up again and used prices will drop as compared to new.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive had two JL wranglers now, first was totaled by a drunk driver and the second one I just got fed up with (diesel rubicon). I think the 392 is the best version to get, and especially if you get the XR.. it will maintain its value better than a raptor in the long run. It's a limited production (392) followed up by an even more limited option (XR package). Fast enough to pretty much keep up with a TRX and just looking at specs on the internet, faster than a raptor. As far as offroad, if you wanna go fast vs if you wanna climb big rocks is your answer. With all the little service visits ive been doing on my raptor ive actually considered going back to the Jeep in a 392 XR variant.638343C7-2DFC-4CD4-8AA7-9242D97DC929.jpegIMG_5422.jpeg

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive had two JL wranglers now, first was totaled by a drunk driver and the second one I just got fed up with (diesel rubicon). I think the 392 is the best version to get, and especially if you get the XR.. it will maintain its value better than a raptor in the long run. It's a limited production (392) followed up by an even more limited option (XR package). Fast enough to pretty much keep up with a TRX and just looking at specs on the internet, faster than a raptor. As far as offroad, if you wanna go fast vs if you wanna climb big rocks is your answer. With all the little service visits ive been doing on my raptor ive actually considered going back to the Jeep in a 392 XR variant.View attachment 381939View attachment 381940
Nice rigs! Cliffhanger?

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ive had two JL wranglers now, first was totaled by a drunk driver and the second one I just got fed up with (diesel rubicon). I think the 392 is the best version to get, and especially if you get the XR.. it will maintain its value better than a raptor in the long run. It's a limited production (392) followed up by an even more limited option (XR package). Fast enough to pretty much keep up with a TRX and just looking at specs on the internet, faster than a raptor. As far as offroad, if you wanna go fast vs if you wanna climb big rocks is your answer. With all the little service visits ive been doing on my raptor ive actually considered going back to the Jeep in a 392 XR variant.View attachment 381939View attachment 381940
Nice Gecko rubi bro. Is that a currie 44 up front?

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s a fun lookin Jeep! Hopefully Moab will be able to provide some raptor fun in the future. I’ll just skip going during EJS lol.
She is a money pit but between the jeep and raptor they both are. Haha.
Yes EJS is to much sitting and waiting. Way to busy. I prefer a group of about 3-4 in Moab or Sand Hollow.