What would you do? Raptor vs Wrangler 392

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I've driven a handful of JK's and didn't mind the handling. The JL above 60mph wanders like crazy but the 392 power and sound is pretty awesome. Maybe I'm just not used to it since Raptors drive so nice. I don't think I'd take a Jeep if I had to frequent the highway.

That said, you could take the Jeep till the Raptor arrives. I still see 392's going for 5-10k above so I'm guessing it'll sell quick. Especially if they disco the 392.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not a jeep fan. The v8 one is ok I guess, but I still wouldn't spend that kind of money on a jeep..

My buddy's 392 wrangler is just about as fast as my gen2 supercab until we get to about 80mph and then he starts inching away..Screenshot_20220901-153812_Instagram.jpg

Last edited:

RaptorCDH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2021 Jeep 392, replaced with 2022 Jeep 392 XR---only cost me $1600 to upgrade from a 2021 to a 2022 xr so i did....the 2022 accelerates better than the 2021 ...better gearing...but the ride is slightly worse....my 2021 Jeep 392 had factory fox shocks and had a really plush ride...nothing like any factory jeep wrangler I have ever experienced....the 2022 has different shocks (not foxes) and rides a little worse...both the 2021 and the 2022 had 35's tires....The toyo atiii's ride is much better imo than the factory 35's on the 2022.
I also have a 2021 Raptor 37 package....It is astonishing how well it drives ...highway, off road, you name it ...it is comfortable and tracks straight as an arrow...the suspension revisions on the Gen 3 make the gen 3 raptor perfect in almost every driving condition.
The Jeep gets quite a bit of hate for its highway handling due to its' live axle....The 392 is a different from any other Jeep wrangler...it has a supple plush ride and tracks pretty well on the highway..it isn't a handlful like other Jeep wranglers....The Jeep is easy to park and drive anywhere...city...dirt roads, snow...it is easy. The 392 motor is a masterpeice of power and sound...every trip in it is special.
The Raptor has become our family traveling vehicle...highway miles are a joy... both are priced @ 80-85K...I guess the Raptor is a bettter value...but the Jeep 392 is special...My advice...get the 392 xr (some are discounted by $7k msrp) drive it until the raptor arrives and then you have a tough choice..both are great but depending on your needs of the vehicle ...make a decison then ...both are great choices....

Attachments

• 08F5A888-2B2B-434B-93F1-A4D1EB7BE6D5.jpeg
    08F5A888-2B2B-434B-93F1-A4D1EB7BE6D5.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 53DEBAB1-DAA7-4386-AC2E-C4A1EEF0AFE5.jpeg
    53DEBAB1-DAA7-4386-AC2E-C4A1EEF0AFE5.jpeg
    289.3 KB · Views: 24

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve put 226k miles on my wrangler, and more than half were real Baja miles. If you are doing tight trails and rock crawling, the jeep is the way to go. Anything else, it's the Raptor. I couldn't be more happy with my new Gen 3. Got mine for $32k out the door in 2008. I could never imagine spending $80k on anything Chrysler produces lol. The one plus is that they are extremely easy to work on and upgrade if you turn your own wrenches. IMG_0758.JPG

Non-Sense

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2021 Jeep 392, replaced with 2022 Jeep 392 XR---only cost me $1600 to upgrade from a 2021 to a 2022 xr so i did....the 2022 accelerates better than the 2021 ...better gearing...but the ride is slightly worse....my 2021 Jeep 392 had factory fox shocks and had a really plush ride...nothing like any factory jeep wrangler I have ever experienced....the 2022 has different shocks (not foxes) and rides a little worse...both the 2021 and the 2022 had 35's tires....The toyo atiii's ride is much better imo than the factory 35's on the 2022.
I also have a 2021 Raptor 37 package....It is astonishing how well it drives ...highway, off road, you name it ...it is comfortable and tracks straight as an arrow...the suspension revisions on the Gen 3 make the gen 3 raptor perfect in almost every driving condition.
The Jeep gets quite a bit of hate for its highway handling due to its' live axle....The 392 is a different from any other Jeep wrangler...it has a supple plush ride and tracks pretty well on the highway..it isn't a handlful like other Jeep wranglers....The Jeep is easy to park and drive anywhere...city...dirt roads, snow...it is easy. The 392 motor is a masterpeice of power and sound...every trip in it is special.
The Raptor has become our family traveling vehicle...highway miles are a joy... both are priced @ 80-85K...I guess the Raptor is a bettter value...but the Jeep 392 is special...My advice...get the 392 xr (some are discounted by $7k msrp) drive it until the raptor arrives and then you have a tough choice..both are great but depending on your needs of the vehicle ...make a decison then ...both are great choices....
This is about the best, well rounded answer you could ask for. I haven’t driven the 392 but agree with you the 37 drives great for it’s size.

TrailRunner

Reaction score
I own both a 2003 rubicon 2-door and a 2012 SCREW raptor so you’ll be buying completely different vehicles but here’s my comparison fwiw.

The Jeep absolutely shines in tight spaces, be it constricted trails or tight city parking spots. It’s a blast to take to the beach, concerts, or camping and I never feel too bad about trashing the interior with sand, mud, beer cans, or dirty gym clothes for that matter. Aftermarket mods are considerably cheaper and easier for DIY folks. The Jeeps do have their drawbacks and I don’t disagree with much of what the rest of the forum mentioned about their warts. I’ll also say that the interior gets pretty cramped with passengers and luggage/gear. But what I will say is that nothing compares to the feeling of taking the top down and doors off. Unless you ride a motorcycle, there’s nothing that can beat that feeling of freedom.

The raptor, however, is in a class of its own. The interior trim is awesome. Off-road performance is outstanding. It’s a beast and an absolute blast to drive when you hammer down on the skinny pedal, whether you’re off road or on. Interior comfort is unparalleled and the bed space is extremely useful, at least for me.

Anyways, I agree with the others who recommend buying the Jeep for now then re-evaluate when your raptor comes in. Best of luck with the decision!

Last edited:

Diablo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the 392 and enjoy it. I love my Raptor, but on my favorite high country trails it is too damn big. Too bad IMO that the jeep is a 4 door. Also sad that Ford discontinued the Raptor SCAB after 2020.