What would you do? Raptor vs Wrangler 392

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BaseModelRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Get the 392 and enjoy it. I love my Raptor, but on my favorite high country trails it is too damn big. Too bad IMO that the jeep is a 4 door. Also sad that Ford discontinued the Raptor SCAB after 2020.
You don’t need an $80k Jeep to hit the trails. You can pick up one for $20k that will be more than sufficient.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Get the 392 and enjoy it. I love my Raptor, but on my favorite high country trails it is too damn big. Too bad IMO that the jeep is a 4 door. Also sad that Ford discontinued the Raptor SCAB after 2020.

Ford is going in the wrong direction with a lot of moves they're making. Ending the scab raptor, was one of them.. I'm keeping mine forever

mmm184

Reaction score
All things being equal (they're not equal), I'd get the Raptor. I've had two Raptors and ordered a 37, which, in theory, will be delivered soon. I also have an older Jeep Wrangler with a V8 from AEV. There is no comparison between my 17 Raptor and my 08 AEV V8 Wrangler. The Raptor drive like a car. I can be texting, eating, and speeding in my Raptor with no issues. In the Jeep, it's both hands on the wheel 10-2 O'clock position at all times. I'm sure the new Jeeps are better and are awesome "from the factory" but I'd hold off for the Raptor...just my 2 cents.
Good luck.

BaseModelRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All things being equal (they're not equal), I'd get the Raptor. I've had two Raptors and ordered a 37, which, in theory, will be delivered soon. I also have an older Jeep Wrangler with a V8 from AEV. There is no comparison between my 17 Raptor and my 08 AEV V8 Wrangler. The Raptor drive like a car. I can be texting, eating, and speeding in my Raptor with no issues. In the Jeep, it's both hands on the wheel 10-2 O'clock position at all times. I'm sure the new Jeeps are better and are awesome "from the factory" but I'd hold off for the Raptor...just my 2 cents.
Good luck.
Why would you get an AEV built vehicle when you can buy the 392 and make it 10x more capable for a fraction the cost?

caleb

Reaction score
So many in this thread comparing their older wranglers to the current ones, that’s like comparing a Raptor to a Wrangler. They are completely different vehicles.

With that said, the problems with a Wrangler aren’t solved with the 392. It just makes the other problems more tolerable. I’ve had more than a dozen different Jeeps and I’m on my second Raptor. I would never again have a Wrangler if it was my primary vehicle. They aren’t comfortable in many ways, but if you value having a conversation while driving down the highway, you won’t get it. If it was an either or decision, Raptor any day. The Wrangler is a great second vehicle though if you are in to, or want to be, crawling or wheeling tighter trails. I’ve found I have way more fun crawling and wheeling those tight trails in my SxS than I ever did in my Jeeps or buggy. Downside is I need to tow it if I go too far from home BUT I have a Raptor that does that just fine.

USMC-0351

Reaction score
So,
Got an order for an avalanche grey raptor, july 21 order confirmed
(no markup, no deposit, no idea if allocated)
- eta only god knows
- MSRP 77520
- priority (i dont even know)

Also, have an order confirmed august 19 for a sting gray jeep 392
- eta 8-15 weeks (approx. december)
- MSRP 81985
- 3.5k off msrp
- build priority 01

Ive never had a jeep or a raptor, my dream truck has always been a raptor. i am mostly a ford guy but have owned (stellantis/ fca) vehicles in the past as-well. but when the jeep 392 was announced, it was definitely added to my wish list. Also, Im not a big off road guy but want one of these 2 iconic cars.

So my question is, what would you do,
Get delivery of the jeep 392 coming soon or keep waiting for a raptor that might arrive between 18-24 months; and save some down payment money while i wait in my dodge charger (no, its not a 392) lol

Thank you all, open to all criticism and questions or concerns
I have a 17 Avalanche Grey raptor, and a 392 wrangler. Been a jeep fan my whole life! Absolutely never drive them now haha. Jeeps are cool don’t get me wrong but they have almost no room in them, they’re loud inside, they ride like shit even with the “best suspension”. My wife calls it our “brunch car” cuz that’s the only time it gets used. There is no comparison between a jeep and a raptor. Might be fun if you’re just holding onto it while waiting for raptor allocation but if it’s one or the other pass on the wrangler. Even my 13 raptor is better than my new jeep in every way.

USMC-0351

Reaction score
So many in this thread comparing their older wranglers to the current ones, that’s like comparing a Raptor to a Wrangler. They are completely different vehicles.

With that said, the problems with a Wrangler aren’t solved with the 392. It just makes the other problems more tolerable. I’ve had more than a dozen different Jeeps and I’m on my second Raptor. I would never again have a Wrangler if it was my primary vehicle. They aren’t comfortable in many ways, but if you value having a conversation while driving down the highway, you won’t get it. If it was an either or decision, Raptor any day. The Wrangler is a great second vehicle though if you are in to, or want to be, crawling or wheeling tighter trails. I’ve found I have way more fun crawling and wheeling those tight trails in my SxS than I ever did in my Jeeps or buggy. Downside is I need to tow it if I go too far from home BUT I have a Raptor that does that just fine.
I agree with this 100% I could have just written the exact same post

BaseModelRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Old or new Wrangler ..they all have a terrible ride. The 392 is more tolerable because you can mash the go peddle and forget you’re driving a modern day Model A.