What were the ford engineers thinking with this cabin air filter location?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flgator

Reaction score
I just hit 10k on my 2020 and changed the oil and filter, rotated the tires, changed the engine filter as well as the cabin filter. I’ve changed the cabin filter in many on my previous vehicles but this one couldn’t have been more complicated. Notice I didn’t say hard.., it’s easy. But having to disconnect the glove box bar, push in the the tabs to drop the glove box, remove rubber trim, remove carbon fiber trim, unscrew two screws, remove glove box panel, click tabs to remove air filter cover… replace filter.. and do it all again. That was nuts. I guarantee I’ll break some tabs off all the pieces at some point… maybe they are counting on that.

So odd…

heybear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it’s any consolation, gm doesn’t do it any better. our big bad ‘burban involves being upside down in the passenger footwell trying to find the hidden screws. and folding the filter itself in place is a true disaster.

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be extra careful too if you have the Carbon Fiber trim. It's real. And it's very delicate. Mine cracked when removing.

mikesalindra

Reaction score
I just hit 10k on my 2020 and changed the oil and filter, rotated the tires, changed the engine filter as well as the cabin filter. I’ve changed the cabin filter in many on my previous vehicles but this one couldn’t have been more complicated. Notice I didn’t say hard.., it’s easy. But having to disconnect the glove box bar, push in the the tabs to drop the glove box, remove rubber trim, remove carbon fiber trim, unscrew two screws, remove glove box panel, click tabs to remove air filter cover… replace filter.. and do it all again. That was nuts. I guarantee I’ll break some tabs off all the pieces at some point… maybe they are counting on that.

So odd…
I just got mine from PureFlow. It is a great website: https://pureflowair.com/collections/ford-f-150-cabin-air-filters , they have detailed video and PDF instruction. Their product is highly recommended, great quality and perfect fit. Before I replaced my filter, there was a musty smell any time I turned the vent on. ALL GONE.
I also got their cabin filter air freshener "Black Rock".. what an amazing product. it defuses a subtle scent through out the cabin. no more vent clips .. they claim it lasts 90 days, so far it still working after almost 40 days .. try it https://pureflowair.com/collections/air-freshener

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just got mine from PureFlow. It is a great website: https://pureflowair.com/collections/ford-f-150-cabin-air-filters , they have detailed video and PDF instruction. Their product is highly recommended, great quality and perfect fit. Before I replaced my filter, there was a musty smell any time I turned the vent on. ALL GONE.
I also got their cabin filter air freshener "Black Rock".. what an amazing product. it defuses a subtle scent through out the cabin. no more vent clips .. they claim it lasts 90 days, so far it still working after almost 40 days .. try it https://pureflowair.com/collections/air-freshener
No musty smell on my truck but it is a gen 1 so per my understanding no cabin air filter, lol!

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
At 24k miles..... Yeah it could be easier but it's still stupid simple. As mentioned be careful with the CF piece. Just
check out a Youtube video and knock it out ;)
Cabin Air Filter.jpg

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd go more often on the oil and oil filter and less often on the other filters ... but that's me. I'm due for my fourth oil filter and my first cabin and air filters.